Sunday, September 9, 2012

The garden is out of control.   so many tomato's....this is what I picked one morning... 

So I made tomato sauce.  It turned out good...a lot of work for something you can buy at the case lot sale for 25 cents..It give me a lot of satisfaction though and is wonderful to be able to use what we've grown in the garden.

 I hadn't looked through the jars we brought home from mum's basement...just stuck them in the garage.  So it was fun to go through them as I canned.  Some really cool old ones.

The poor chopper...it is about ready to die...we've tried to prolong it's life with duct tape and fancy epoxy glue, but the lid won't even fit on it anymore. It really was the best one we ever had. We had always got the cheap ones from the swap meet and they worked fine, but then I saw this one at  Ross...oh why didn't I buy 5 of them? Now they are nowhere to be found.   It has a super fancy blade that is really sharp...three spins of the handle and the onion, pepper or what ever is chopped just right...not pulverized like the other choppers do.  It has got us through many many many batches of salsa.  I'm going to blame Kelley for  the choppers demise...he gets pretty crazy with it.  He gets going so fast the handle comes right off!  Then the handle kind of stripped so it wouldnt turn the blade very good.  Kelley tried all kinds of glues , but it still wasn't quite right.  Then we got a crack in the bottom, so Kelley taped it back together.  It is just barely limping along...I say we let it go and lay it to rest. It has served us well. 

 
So in desperation...I bought a Ninja!  It is a lot like the old chopper, except it has an electric motor!  The way the blade is on this thing it doesn't mush your onions and peppers up...chops them just right, if your careful not to let it go to long.
There were a bunch of tomatillos on the ground that were ready and the peppers are all coming on like crazy, so I made a batch of green salsa...turned out good!


 (still love you old chopper)

1 comment:

Angie said...

holy tomatoes batman! There is really nothing better then homemade stuff!