Tuesday, September 25, 2012



About a month ago, Tammy came over and said she had something important she needed to ask me.  ummmm. OK.  Then she told me about a trip her and Ken were going on in mid September.  I was like, "Oh do you want us to watch your dogs?"  she said very seriously,...."Yes...I wanted to ask KC if he would take care of them while we were gone...but I thought I had better ask you first to see if you thought he could do it." I said  " I'm sure he wouldn't mind at all"  Then she said " It's a little more involved than just feeding them...they need to be fed twice a day, then theres treats and letting them out to play and go potty and then I'd like him to sleep at our house so the dogs aren't lonely."
 
At first I thought she was joking, but then I could see that she was very serious.  These dogs are very important to her.
So I said..."yeah...that should be OK...you'll have to talk to KC about it"  she said, "yes, I just thought I'd run it by you first to see if it was OK...I'll be talking to KC this week. 
She came over and talked with KC a few days later and he said he could do it.
During the weeks up till they left, I bet she asked me at least 10 times if it was still going to work out for KC to watch the dogs.  yup...still OK.
A week and a half before they were leaving, she came over and wanted to set up a time for KC to come over to learn how to take care of the dogs. So KC got over there and she showed him how to do their food, treats, when to let them out, and where he could sleep. ("Oh  and they might get in bed with you...just don't mind them" HA!)
 

 So when KC got thinking about it.... he realized he was not going to be there for their afternoon time of letting them out, so he asked me if I would do it.  Of course...(KC was taking this job very seriously...he could see how anxious Tammy was about her dogs and didn't want anything to go wrong!  he called me every day to make sure I had gone over there) 
So I went over there and could hear the dogs barking at the back door.  Kind of intimidating to open that door when you know this huge beast is going to jump all over you.  ( when ever I go to visit over Tammy, she has to hold the dogs back from attacking ( which is not easy because they are twice the size of her)...not in a scary way...they just want to jump on you.)
So when I got to their door, I could hear them jumping and scratching at the back door and barking.  I pushed the door open and tried to slip inside without them escaping. I got inside and quick shut the door and they were all over me.  The big brown one, Anaka....he is reeeeeealy friendly.  He is really large too!  I 'm pretty sure he weighs more than I do....his tail wagging would easily take out a small child.  It about knocked me down.
So I got them to settle down and get off me and let them out into the back yard so they could go potty.  They ran out, but then ran right back in and wanted to jump on me some more.  So I went outside with them so they would do their business. 
I came in and got their food ready...one cup dry dog food...then a package of  this food that honestly looked delicious.  Big chunky vegetables, shredded chicken in a savory sauce...at least that's what it said...it didn't smell like dog food...more like chicken pot pie.  HA!
So I got their food and water all done...the black one Hermine came running in and went to town on his bowl.  Anaka was rolling in the grass outside.  I went out and hollered at her to come and eat.  By the time we got back in the house, Hermine had eaten both of their bowls of food.  Oh dear.
So I fixed Anaka some more.  She didn't seem like she was even hungry.  I didn't want to leave without making sure she ate though,  ( and Hermine didn't) so I sat down in their lawn chair to wait.  Next thing I know, Anaka is trying to hop up on my lap.  Haaa!  It was so funny,  I wished I had my camera with me that day!  She is just a huge, very lovable dog. 
 
Anyway, I got to do that for three days.  The second day when I went over there, Hermine was really droopy. I was afraid she was sick, but she was eating and drinking ok so I'm sure she was just really missing Tammy. 
KC got along just fine over there with them at night...except for the fact that they like to get up at 3:00 am and  bark.  I don't think Tammy had mentioned that to him...that's when Ken would always get up and let them out. 
Tammy called several times every day to see how they were doing.  She really loves them.  I sent her some pictures that I took of them and I think that made her feel a little better. 
When they got home, she brought me over some nice cantaloupes.  She was really grateful and paid KC well for his time. 
 I can see why she loved the dogs so much...they are very sweet...
can't compare to Lizzy though...(she was very jealous when I would go over there...she could smell the dogs on me and gave me a dirty look like she thought I had been cheating on her!)
We found out the other day that Robin had lost two of her dogs in the past few months.  She sat there and cried as she told us about them.  They were quite old, so she knew it was coming, but still so sad.  They were everything to her.  
Lizzy is getting older too...can't even think about losing her. She has been such a good dog and is like part of our family.  She still has the energy of a puppy though, so I hope she will stay healthy and be with us for a long, long time.  

1 comment:

Angie said...

sounds like quite an adventure with the dogs! Some peoples animals mean more to them then their own kids!