Sunday, September 9, 2012

The flowers are so pretty now.  It seems like they were struggling all summer...it was a very hot summer!  Then all the sudden, they all just take off and start blooming like crazy. 

 These hostas have started blooming...so pretty!  I love the geraniums too.  I think we will try to get a bunch of starts off of these and keep them going through the winter...(next project...a greenhouse?  just thinkin...)  I have fond? memories of getting starts from mum's geraniums every year.  We would hate to take them up while they were still blooming so pretty, so we would end up many times making a mad dash to pull them up and put them in the greenhouse before it froze.  Then when we had time, we would break off  a start or two from each plant and stick it in a pot of dirt.  Now that I think about it, it's pretty amazing that they grew... ( I know if I tried sticking a bare little branch of a geranium in the dirt here, it would just laugh at me and kill over dead.)  but they always did.  We would set up rows and rows over geraniums in the green house and mum would water them faithfully.  Pretty soon, little green leaves would start to grow on the bare stems and within a few months, they were lovely plants.  Mum would nurse them all winter so when spring time came around, they were ready to plant out again.  She grew a lot of geraniums!  Enough for our yard, and enough for others too.  She used to sell some, then she would give lots away...she always had some for us kids to put in our gardens too.   Mum definitly had the magic touch. Her and daddy were quite a team...he'd prepare the soil and get it ready to plant...then she would plant seeds or starts for their whole yard.   What a legacy of love of gardening they created.  It sure brings a lot of joy into my life!


 Those ferns in the back are from little starts daddy dug up for me years ago...they have spread out and filled up the front flower bed.  I love everything about those ferns...the way they start out  a little fuzzy plant, then grow taller and uncurl into a beautiful fern.  I have memories of them in front of mum and daddy's house and several other places around the yard.  They are a part of their yard that I want to keep forever.
Warm afternoons,,,cool evenings...I've decided this is my favorite time of year!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Such a beautiful yard! I love geraniums they remind me so much of grandma. How lucky to have some of the ferns to remind you of them. Sure do miss them...