Monday, June 18, 2012

Had a nice Fathers day.  We had Kelley's dad and Pat come over for dinner.
Kelley made rolled tacos and amazing salsa.  I love how he likes to try making new things!  He really is a good cook!  I'm more of a 'use what ever we've got  on hand and throw it together quick and eat  it ' kind of girl.  Kelley is a plan ahead, buy all the ingredients, marinade or slow cook for hours, then roast, slice, saute', chop, roll or stuff what ever he's making.    He is patient and will take the time to make it good. He does that with everything he does in his life. I like that about him.
Candice colored her hair.  It looks nice.  I like it blond, but she can really pull off any hair color.
Had a fun day with her Saturday...I picked her up  at her house and we went down town and shopped around a little at City Creek.  We both found something pretty...a  small miracle for me!
When Candice asked me what she could get for Kelley for Father's day, I suggested  an ice cream maker.  Ours died last summer, so we had been using grandmas old one.  It was pretty rusty though and the motor was on it's last leg, so we went on the hunt for one. 
We weren't happy with the one they had at Walmart.  Kind of plastic-ee.  We wanted one with a wooden tub so we checked around and found one at Shopko.  Whoda thought. 
Made a marvelous batch of Strawberry ice cream Sunday afternoon.  mmmmmmm  so creamy and good!
Glad Pat felt up to coming over for dinner.  He has lost a ton of weight since his surgery. I think he's being a good boy and sticking to his diet.
Been thinking a lot about daddy as I've gone over these pictures this last week and then with the celebration of Fathers day...Thinking about what a good daddy he was.  Thinking about how he worked so hard to support our family and make our home a beautiful, happy, comfortable, peaceful place to be. Thinking about how he treated mum...  They never argued or raised their voice at each other. I liked how they worked together.  They would plan things they wanted to create, then daddy would go to work on it with mum looking on or if it had to do with flowers, she would be right there working beside him. 
Mum used to get terrible headaches from her high blood pressure. She would lay in her room with the curtains closed and Daddy would rub her head to try to ease the pain.  When she was older, her heart gave her fits...either beating too slow, or way too fast.  Many times, daddy would rush her to the emergency room in the middle of the night.  He was always kind and loving and caring to her.
He was a fun dad and grampa.  He used to fill  the  wading pool for us and hook up the slippery slide so we could slide right into the water.  When we were older, he rigged up a slip and slide with a big piece of plastic and the hose.  That was fun! ( I know it about killed the grass underneath it, but he never said anything)    He built us a pair of stilts that we had hours of fun on.   He let us ride on the side of his truck on the wheel cover down to the sugar factory, then let us climb around on the big rail road cars full of rocks while he got the samples he needed for work.  He made us a fun swing from the tallest tree that swung clear out over the road.  We'd climb up on the top of his truck ( I'm sure he didn't appreciate that, but never said anything) and jump off to get a good swing.
He would pull us behind the truck on inner tubes in the snow and I remember one time, he flooded the lawn so it would freeze so we could have our own ice skating pond.  He'd take us on picnics up the canyon ( even though it was just as lovely right there in our own yard) and our annual trip to bear Lake.
When I got older, he would come and rescue me when I ran out of gas, or got a flat tire, or the car broke down.  Then there was the time I ran into the back of another car at a stop sign in Logan on my way to work because the roads were icy.  I bashed the front of the car in pretty good, but he didn't say anything.  Just came and picked me up and took me to work.  I always felt safe when he was around.   I knew long before I was married that I wanted to find someone just like him.  I think I did pretty good.
Couldn't ask for a better man right here.

1 comment:

kat said...

Pretty good?? Mom, you SCORED big time. Dad is THE MAN!! He did 'pretty good' too. xo