Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Why a daughter needs a dad...I've been thinking a lot lately about what an important role a dad plays in his family's lives.
My dad had a great influence on my life...he was such a great example to me of kindness, humility, service, and faith. I knew I could turn to him at any time and he would be there for me. And the way that he treated mom...well I just knew I wanted to marry someone a lot like him, and I think I did!
I watch our kids and see how much they love and respect their dad. They go to him with all of their problems, fears, challenges and questions. They always want to share with him when they have something good happen, their joys and success's too. They know they can always count on him to make them laugh, to be someone who will listen to them, someone who has a big shoulder to cry on and someone who will give them guidance in their lives. They turn to him for the reassurance that everything will be ok. They know they can always go to him and he will do everything in his power to help them through what ever problem they have. They go to him for those 'pick you up off the ground, back breaking' hugs. There's nothing like a hug from your dad.
Some things they may not know about their dad...
He pretty much lives for these kids... he would give his right arm to help them be happy
He asks me every day when he gets home from work..."What do you hear from the kids?"
All the time he spends making things for each of them..well he loves it...he'd give them moon if he could.
He got really sad when they all left home...unlike a lot of other dads, he would love to have them come back home anytime!
He prays for each of them every night....very specific prayers for each one, but always for their happiness.
A while ago, Dave asked me if I would have K.C. write a message to Kelley that he could read in Sacrament meeting on Father's day.
As you can see, Kelley has had a great impact on his life too...

June 16, 2010
This is kind of a tough one. My father has effected my life in so many ways it is hard to collect any thoughts. My father has taught me from since I can remember how to live correctly. He and my mother taught me the gospel and showed me how to live it. He has taught me to love my neighbor and do all that I can to serve and bless the lives of other people. I have yet to meet someone who does that in the same way that he does. He taught me to work and work until the job is done. He has set a great example for me by the way he treats my mother, never a harsh word or raised voice. My dad is my hero and I just hope to be as great as he is some day. Although I learned a ton from my father when I was with him all the time, I have learned even more about myself and who I am by trying to use the things he taught me while I have been away. I have come to know the truthfulness of the gospel while serving here, I simply know that its true. I no longer believe it is true only because of what my father and mother taught me, although they laid the foundation of my faith, but I have found for myself that this is the church of God because I have lived the principles that are taught and have received a witness from the
Holy Ghost they are true. This is my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ amen.




Not only the best dad, but the best husband and friend a girl could ever ask for.






3 comments:

lessdirtydirt said...

It's true, every last word! I love my dad so so much.

Angie said...

Such a nice post about Kelley. What a great Uncle I have. My aunt isn't bad either:)

kat said...

No words can describe how grateful I am for my relationship with dad...it is so very rare and priceless...one of my favorite blessings.