Friday, June 18, 2010

Liv, DMV and Kelley's pants..that's right girls, we're talking about your dad's pants

Name something that makes you happy, something that makes you aggravated, and something that makes you just say "why?" First of all, my adorable grand daughter. I just want to eat her.





I've been missing her an extra lot lately, but it makes me happy when she calls and tells me what she has been doing and says...

" I sure do love you Grandma!


I sure do love you too!





So yesterday, I woke up determined that I would go get my driver's licence renewed. I have had it on my "to do" list for about 3 months. (Ever since I went to get on the airplane to go visit Camille and the guy looks at my licence and says "Oh this licence is expired...in January! I was afraid that would be the final straw with that trip and they wouldn't let me get on the plane, but he said they will let you through up to one year after your licence expires)

Anyway, I just kept putting it off because everyone said I would probably have to take
the test again since I had let it expire. Plus all the hullabaloo about having to have all these forms of identification because of the illegal immigrants, and the three hour waits because of all the new restrictions...well it just didn't sound too fun. So I procrastinate.
I could come with a pretty good reason most every day to NOT get it done.

I'm too busy...

I have a runny nose...you know, don't want to spread germs

It's raining...I used that one several times

I should clean my blinds instead

I need to color my roots before I get my picture taken

Lizzy will be scared if I leave her when the wind is blowing

The car is dirty...better clean it before I go in case I have to do driving test

Don't want to get picture taken with scab on my nose from racquetball injury


The excuses were getting lamer by the day so I decided I had better just do it.

I decided I would get over there bright and early so I wouldn't have to wait in any of those long lines. Ha! I got there about 8:30, and the line was already back to the door. So I waited in that line for about 30 minutes. When it's finally my turn, I proudly bust out my Birth Certificate and my passport. wrongo. "You have got to have your social security card Mame"

So I go back home and start looking for something with my social security number on it. My card was in my purse when it was stolen in the church parking lot a few years ago, so I was looking for a W2 or something from the state of Utah that had my social security number and my name on it. I had to go back to 2004 to find a W2 from when I had worked. Wow... kind of make me feel like a non person...all of our important papers are under Kelley's name.

So I grabbed that and went back over to the DMV. Now the line was ridiculously long. But I wasn't going to give up. I waited about an hour to get up to the same lady that had told me my papers were no good...about this time, this guy starts announcing that they are working with about half staff so when you do get a number, which was what this lady was going to do, then there was at least a three hour wait. Seriously?

So the lady says, "You know if I was you, Ii would go out to our office in Draper. There is never any waiting there". ooooooo what to do? after waiting this long should I trust her? But I couldn't bear the thoughts of a three hour wait, so I drove out to draper. This was also an adventure.

The execution of Ronny Lee Gardner was going to take place last night, so there was a media frenzy out there by the prison...which happens to be right by the DMV.

I finally got in there, there was a line there too! Noooooo!

But this line was really moving! They had about 6 counters open, so after you got your picture taken, the wait was only about 30 minutes.

I go up there and give her all my important papers and explain about my social security card. She said the W2 was fine, but then when she looked at it she said "This is from 2004!" ' Ya that's the last time I was working...that's all I got!' She stood there drumming her fingers for at least a minute. then she said "Will you go get a new social security card right away? If this gets audited, you will have to have one!" I said "Yes I will!" and she put it through. Oh man, no wonder I dread going here. Then she said...oh by the way, you just barely missed having to take the test...July 4 will be six months past due and that is the limit! (I will not procrastinate. I will not procrastinate. I will not procrastinate!)



Now on a happier note, Kelley finally went and got him some new work pants! I know this doesn't sound like a big deal...your pants wear out, you go get some new ones. Right?
Kelley has a different philosophy. When your pants have big holes in the front and the crotch is split open, well that's when they are getting comfortable.
I say "Kelley, I am going to get you some new pants!" Oh no, maybe you could just put a patch on the one's I have, then they will be fine!" So I patch.
I really hate (sorry Olivia) patching Kelley's pants. My sewing machine is getting tired and really struggles to get through that heavy fabric. And then there is the issue of getting to where the patch needs to be sewn on. When the hole is down the leg, it is really hard to scrunch all that heavy fabric up and then lay the patch out flat and sew it on. I have tried the iron on patches...they go on slick as a whistle, but after about a day of Kelley's work, they come loose and fall off.
So I just do the best I can with a big piece of heavy denim. They are pretty sad looking though. I think Kelley's friends at work started making fun of him and were putting together a collection to get him some new pants.
Kelley is not a proud man though and could care less what he wears to work...just as long as it covers his undies. ( sometimes that doesn't happen either...he has come home from work with his crotch split completely open!) Oh dear
Well his patches wear through before too long and the fabric has worn so thin there is nothing to sew anything to, so that's the limit. PLEASE GET SOME NEW PANTS!!!! ( I would just go get him some myself, but he has to pick them out himself to get the one's he likes...they have to have the right tool holder do-hickies in just the right places)



These are "nice" work pants...only one patch!
Anyway, I was sure glad when I saw him walk through the door with a big bag from sportsmans wearhouse! My sewing machine and I thank you.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Wow that is just ridiculous about the DMV. I hate going into that place they always make you feel like an idiot. You for sure need a new social security card and it wont be to hard:) Kelley's pants are quite something! I am glad he got new ones too!

kat said...

No wonder we never put anything in dad's pants....it would obviously just fall out-WAY more fun to fill yours! Nice try though mom! LOVE YOU