Wednesday, June 2, 2010

wakey wakey little fishy

This is a really lame picture...no not you dear, but just a phone camera picture
that was taken with Kelley's phone. I thought I would save it for posterity because it was the last picture taken (or done anything with) with that phone. A few minutes later, it was on the bottom of Strawberry Reservoir.
We were on our way up fishing when I realized I had forgotten my camera and my phone, so I was trying to figure out how to use his phone camera...(just in case we needed to document the catching of some incredibly large fish.) It was actually still pretty dark...hello...you have to get up in the middle of the night so you can be on the lake when the sun comes up if you want to catch fish! Ha!
Ok. I'm going with that one now. Seeing's how we didn't catch any fish and only got one good bite...
Had a pretty good time though...started out with Kelley leaning down to unhook the boat (Dan backs us down into the water, but the boat won't let go of the trailer...hmmm oh there's one more hookie bobber you forgot to undo! ) So Kelley is on the front of the boat leaning way down to undo the chain and his phone drops out of his shirt pocket into the water. Goodbye phone.
Dan went up to the marine store to talk to the fishing pros there to get some tips for the day. He came out with sack full of new lures and smelly stuff and this very confident ( kind of giddy) look on his face as he assured us that he had gotten some top secret fishing tips that would guarantee catching at least 80 fish!
Dan took us to the "secret place" hmmmmm only two other boats there, and we started fishing. Dan was fixing up his lures( 3 poles?..ya that's legal) with all kinds of concoctions that he kept hidden in his jacket pocket. Kelley and I were using the old reliables, but nobody was getting even a nibble. ok, so that guy was in our spot, so we will try perfect fishing spot # 2. Still nothing.
By this time, Dan had given up his plan of him catching several fish, then telling us about the top secret lure information he had gotten....so we might catch a few too. He shared his smelly cheese and minnows and told us how to use this certain hook ...blah blah blah ...but that didn't work either. So we thought we might as well clean up the boat a little bit while we were waiting.
I think that was when Kelley leaned over the side of the boat to fill up a jug with water for the toilet. I asked him if the water was very cold and he said for me to ask his glasses that had just fallen in the water. Oh boy. I can only imagine the stuff on the bottom of that lake. (between K.C, Dan and Kelley, there is quite the assortment...poles, glasses (several) binoculars, keys, pliers and other tools.) It would be fun to see just what's down there.

Anyway, it was a lovely day and I enjoyed feeling the warmth of the sun (after a fashion...33 degrees when we got there but warmed up to mid seventies) and laughing a lot with these two guys. Glad they will let me tag along.
Heard on the news last night that a man had drowned Monday afternoon at Strawberry. I remember seeing the pontoon boat they were on while we were there. They said he was drinking and just fell in. His buddies tried to save him but he went under the boat and they still haven't found him. So sad. I hope they find him soon...don't think I could go out on the lake knowing there was a dead body in there somewhere. very creepy.

1 comment:

Angie said...

sounds like quite an adventure! It would be interesting to drain the lake and see what you find. I remember a neighbor of ours coming home heart broken from losing her wedding ring in bear lake! Its crazy all the things that just slip away.