Wednesday, June 16, 2010

So we were sitting there in class on Sunday and Carol pokes her head in the door and says "Did you guys remember you are in charge of doing the gift for the fathers on father's day?" nope.
So later that day, Jenny called me and asked me if I would try to come up with an idea for it.
I asked Kelley what he thought the men would like and he said "Popcorn Balls!" So I asked Jenny what she thought about that and she liked the idea too so we decided we could both make three batches and that would do it.
Then she asked me if I would find a poem or something to put with them. I was talking to Camille on the phone and she came up with lots of great ideas...not anything you could actually say in sacrament meeting, but very funny!!! Kellen was piping in with his own ideas...also very funny but not quite something I could use.
So yesterday morning, I got a text from Candice...she apparently had been told that I was trying to come up with something to put on the tag for the popcorn balls. She had a few ideas...also unacceptable but pretty funny. I was like "Seriously...I need some help here!" So a few minutes later she sends me some really cute ideas...
"It may sound "corny" but it's true, the worlds a brighter place because of you!" or
"It may sound corny but it's true, my life is amazing because of you! Thanks Dad! I ended up using this version..."It may sound corny but it's true...The world's a sweeter place because there is you!" She really is a talented writer..very creative and funny. I hope some day she will share her talent with the world..
Well so now I had that, but needed something more to put with it so I sat down and wrote a few basic ideas of what I wanted to say, then tried to make it into a poem. I remember helping the kids write poems and stories for school assignments...oh man we were funny! We would sit and laugh for hours. I really enjoyed doing it. Anywho, this is what I came up with...

What is Father's day?
Remembering our dads
All the good things they do
The love, light and guidance
They've given to you.
Wishes of happiness
Surrounded with love
From family and friends
And our Father above.
Respect, love, and honor,
So much we could say...
Our hearts full of gratitude
We give you today.
Happy Father's Day!

So Tuesday night we all met at the church and put the cards together. The girls were great and did a good job with them...have I mentioned lately that I think our Young Women are wonderful? well they are. I am time after time just really impressed by their integrity. Just being around them and listening to them talk and hearing their comments in yw class about the temptations and challenges they face every day, and then how they deal with it...well it's pretty amazing! They have a lot of bad stuff to deal with every day and it would be so easy to take the wrong path...but these girls are making good choices...Hooray! Anyway, I love them and thoroughly enjoy spending time with them.

4 comments:

Angie said...

I love your mad rhyming skills! I think that was very creative about the popcorn ball. I can only imagine what little sayings your girls had:)

lessdirtydirt said...

SWEET BALLZ MOM

Camille said...

Your balls will make a lot of people happy on Sunday.

stacey said...

i'm laughing right out loud right now! You gals are great!

Love ya! Stac