Thursday, June 3, 2010

Nather Brather


A few weeks ago I got an email from Emily telling me she was putting together a special book for Chris for his 50th birthday and wondered if we would write a message or a memory to add to it.
I have always felt close to Chris...he's one of those people that are so friendly and outgoing and caring of other people, he becomes a friend from the first meeting. And with the recent events, I shed a few tears as I wrote my little message.
This is what I sent her from me...
Just wanted to add my wishes for a great birthday to my favorite brother-in-law. It's hard to know where to start... He's kind of a special guy. I remember the first time I met Chris, he was so friendly and made me feel totally welcome into the family. Well he has not changed at all over the past 30 years...still always the one to make you feel at ease and like he genuinely cares about you.
I love the relationship Chris has with Kelley...I don't know if there could be any brothers any closer than they are. I always know when Kelley is talking to Chris on the phone because he laughs...a lot! Chris is always the one Kelley calls first when something happens in his life. Whether he is sharing some good news, or something sad, or just calling to shoot the breeze, Chris is the one Kelley goes to. I'm so glad for the relationship they have...I know it's blessed Kelley's life...it's something pretty rare and special.
I love the way Chris put's his family relationships first and will go out of his way to get everyone together or to make it to special events. That means a lot! He is the life of the party and makes everyone around him feel comfortable and special. He is pretty much the glue that holds this family together!
Hope your birthday is a good one Chris... you deserve the best! are we really 50? when did that happen?
Love you
Paula
Kelley hadn't sent anything yet and Emily was getting anxious so I asked him if he was going to write something. He said "Oh I'm going to...it's just kind of hard...what do you say about your brother?"
That's really true. How do you sum up a life time of experiences in one letter?...I think he did a pretty good job.

From: jkj51156@hotmail.com
To: emjwong@gmail.com
Subject: nather brather
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 07:48:31 -0600

Wow "50"! Wasn't it just yesterday we were sleeping out in the tree house not wanting to be the one on the edge because there was a chance you could fall off?
Let me first preface this with a statement that I have an unconditional love for all my brothers and especially for Mom and Dad. I really thank the Lord all the time for the family I was raised in and the life lessons learned there. With out you knowing you all have taught me so much and I'm very grateful.
Having said that, we all know that when we go through tough times with someone there is a bond that can't be denied or broken. Mom had some pretty hard times both physically and
emotionally. Who wouldn't, look who she had to raise and live with... there was no way any normal person could come through that unscathed.
Her worst times were when Chris and I were about 10 and 6 respectively. All the older boys were out of the house and it was just us and Kim at home. There were a few things that would set her of into a rage and loosing her monthly relief society manual where she got her lesson material from (she taught the social relations lesson forever) another was not being able to find her "GIRDLE".
On one particular sunday Chris and I tried to help her find the girdle to no avail we tore the house apart. Why she thought we would take it was a puzzling to us. (I think Kim may have had
a girdle fetish). Any way this set her off into a really scary rampage she threatened to kill us if it wasn't found. So we hid in the closet, then she couldn't find us and she got even
more upset. I just knew she would find us and that would be the end of us we were scared to death. That day Pat happened to be home and was at priesthood meeting up at the old church and so, I ran bare foot and shirtless to the church leaving Chris behind praying he'd be alive when I got home with help. Those are the events that bond little guys for life!
We have always had a great relationship and have been able to talk to each other about anything. Chris has a very good understanding of the scriptures that I have always loved about him and he is always willing to teach others and I appreciate that. I know he is my younger brother and I should be an example for him but it has usually been the other way around with us. We've always tried to help each other out of trouble since we were little I remember once when at church waiting for mom to come out of a meeting all the people left and it was just he and I in the car and I was old enough to drive and Dad had just bought the new Galaxi 500 and man it was a sweet ride, well he talked me into letting him drive it around the parking lot
and I thought, well what could it hurt... there was only one other car there and surely he is not going to hit it! So we took off and drove around for awhile and everything was just fine and then he decided to park because we thought we would get caught. So with all the stalls to chose from he decides to pull up right next to the only other car in the parking lot.
And sideswipes it! Now we are scared! This isn't just a girdle we are talking about it's Dads new car. (sorry Dad if this is news to you)We were dead. Moments later Mom came out and we didn't have enough time to make up a good story so I told mom I did it I was going to get in trouble anyway for letting him drive. It was really odd she didn't even get mad. Never could quite figure mom out. I could tell a lot of stories about us coming to each others rescue some day we'll have to write them down.
There are sometimes when your earthly nather brather can't help. But remember we'll always be there, and never stop praying for each other. Your Father in heaven has blessed you immensely. You have a wonderful family and they are a reflection of you and Lisa.

Love Kelley

1 comment:

Angie said...

That is so great Kelley has such an awesome brother. The letters were really sweet I know he will love them!