Wednesday, May 28, 2014


This morning, as I was tidying up a little before our presidency meeting and was putting the vacuum away, I started looking through the boxes of books and cds Morgan had brought over for the yard sale.  He said for us to go through them first to see if we wanted to keep any of it.  I started looking at this little book called "What would a Holy Woman Do?"  It was  written by Russel M. Nelsons wife.  She told about how she had gone with her husband to the temple re-dedication in Tonga and had noticed that the words "Holiness to the Lord" were not on the temple.  She mentioned it to her husband and they soon corrected the mistake and then rededicated the temple.  She said she thought about what Holiness to the Lord meant and was impressed to do an experiment.  She asked several of her friends to choose one of her normal daily activities and ask "How would a holy woman do this?"  She mentions things from conflicts with  children, gossiping, reading the scriptures, opportunities to help others, and finding patience and controlling her temper.   The book tells about the experiences these different women had as they tried to live their lives in a more holy way.  It was really interesting to see how this simple idea changed their lives.  I decided I would try to do this little experiment too, and even had a chance to try it out this afternoon when I went visiting teaching. 
Denza and I got to L's house and her husband started off by telling us that they were really busy and she didn't have much time to talk. (we had made an appointment and she said this would be a good time to come)  I have the hardest time with this man.  We were like 'ok, we won't keep you then' and got up to leave.  L said for us to sit down and that she could talk for a minute.  So we sat down and Denza started telling her about visiting her mother's grave yesterday. L's daughter came into the room and picked up a folding table and headed downstairs with it.  Right in the middle of Denza's sentence, L starts yelling at her daughter to bring that table back.  E said her older sister had asked her to bring it to her, but L kept arguing with her to put it back.  It was a strange and pointless argument and Denza and I were both just looking at her like 'what is wrong with you?'  It seems like L just provokes her children to start an argument. I felt so bad for the little girl.  I wanted to just leave but then  thought of the challenge...What would a Holy woman do?   Oh boy, I didn't even know what a holy woman would do, but I tried to understand in some way,  why L was like this. (I have seen some sad stuff in this house since I've been visiting teaching there and  I've also seen her try to do better.)  I had the feeling that she had been having a really hard day.  I tried to feel some compassion instead of the contempt I was feeling for her and her husband.  L finally stopped ranting at her daughter and realized that she had cut off Denza.  She apologized and said she was just really tired.  I asked if there was anything we could do to help her and went over and gave her a hug.  As I did, I could tell she needed one as she held on to me and I could feel her sob.  Then I went and gave E a hug too.  She is one of my darling  yw and I just love her to pieces. We left right after that but I think I had felt the power of love overcome the darkness in that house for a few minutes as I tried to do what a holy woman would do.  I'm far far from a holy woman, but I realized today that if I listen for the spirit to teach me and follow through on those teachings, I can do small things that will help me become just a little more holy than I was yesterday. I'm going to keep trying...A lot of times I leave that house with some pretty ugly feelings, but today I felt something different.  I know it was from searching for the answer...what would a holy woman do?

No comments: