Monday, May 19, 2014

I need to say a few words about Young Women yesterday.  We have been trying to use the girls more in teaching experiences.  A few weeks ago when we were planning the teaching schedule,  we all felt strongly that we should have E teach this lesson on strengthening your testimony.  She has really been struggling lately...not wanting to come to anything and when she is there, she's ornery and distant from everyone.  There have been some other things going on that have caused contention between the girls...I've never seen a ward with so much drama!  And what is sad is that it's an adult that is initiating it.  Anyway, she kind of got caught up in this whole thing and we were pretty worried about her.  It made me sad because I have always thought she was such a great young woman...much more mature than her age and a real leader for the other girls.  When Bonnie asked her to teach the class, we were afraid she would turn her down, but she seemed OK about it. 
When we went into class, she was all set up and ready to go.  We worked on "The Living Christ" for  a little while, then turned the time over to her.  She was well prepared and did an excellent job with the lesson.  She got the girls involved, shared personal experiences and then bore her own testimony about strengthening your testimony. She had  us all repeat the young women theme again, except this time she asked us to say it slowly and think about he words we were saying. It was pretty powerful.  I couldn't get past the first sentence... the tears started there...We are daughters of our Heavenly Father... who loves us and we love Him!  I thought about the countless times when I have needed to feel that love and I have never been disappointed.  The knowledge that He is always there, waiting to hear from me and help me though my life has gotten me through the darkest times in my life.  We talked about the parts of the theme that meant the most to us and it was interesting to hear the girls thoughts.  There are some pretty deep thinkers in our group.  Then E told about how ironic it was that she had been asked to teach this lesson because she had been questioning several things about the church and felt her own testimony wavering.  She said she was grateful she had realized from teaching this lesson where she had problems and what she needed to do to get her testimony back where she wanted to it to be.  She talked about young women and leaders that had helped her through their example. It was pretty sweet because she asked M to bare her testimony, then told her how much she looked up to her.  M doesn't get a lot of that from the other girls...she is an amazingly strong girl who always tries to do whats right, but has not been close to the other girls...I could see that this meant a lot to her.
We were all pretty much in tears as she finished up the lesson.  It was pretty evident how Satan had tried to get a hold of this sweet girl...it seems like he goes for the strongest souls because he knows how much good they can do.  It was even more powerful to see how through some soul searching, study and prayer, she had felt the love of Heavenly Father and overcame the darkness that was creeping into her life.  As I hugged her after class and thanked her for the wonderful lesson, I had a sweet feeling that Heavenly Father was happy with what had just transpired.  This calling can be challenging and I often feel inadequate and unqualified, but I am so grateful to have the blessing of being able to serve my Heavenly Father and these girls right now.

No comments: