Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas times a coming, Christmas times a coming
Christmas times a coming, and I know I'm going home.

Snowflakes a falling, my old homes a calling
Tall pines a humming, Christmas times a coming.

Holly in the window, home is where the wind blows,
Can't walk, I'm running....Christmas times a coming.

Fire place is burning,  my old heart is yearning,
For the folks back home when Christmas times a coming.

Can't you hear the bells a ringing, my old hearts a singing,
When it's snowin, I'll be going back to my country home.

One of my favorite Christmas songs...love me some Emmylou Harris...
But this year when I hear it, my eyes fill up and I get a big lump in my throat.
I guess this is the first year I won't be going home.
Gosh now I'm bawling again, just thinking about it.
Last year at Christmas time, even though we had sold the place, we knew we would be going there many more times to sort things out and clean out the house.  It was still hard...didn't feel the same without mum and daddy there, but somehow, just knowing I could go to this little haven brought me a lot of peace.  It was a place I could feel close to them, even though they were gone.

Kate and I were driving around the other day and this song was playing.  I started boobing and tried to explain to her why.  She understood and we both laughed and cried a bit, talking about the many wonderful memories made in that home.  How grateful I am for those memories. 
With the changes of life, we will make new memories and traditions for Christmas...but in my heart I'll always have have a yearning for the folks back home when Christmas times a coming.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I want to listen to this song now! I feel your pain I am having a hard time. I just miss her and my cousin so much. Like you I am so happy for good memories! love you

stacey said...

amen!