Thursday, March 29, 2012

Last time I was at mum's I brought home an awesome book with lots of wonderful old pictures of our family and extended family.  They won't mean anything to anyone besides me and my sisters...but to us, they are priceless memories.
The old jalopy

Grandma and grampa Braegger....one of the rare photos with her smiling....not that she was an unhappy person...always very kind and pleasant.  Maybe she didn't have any teeth!

This is an awesome picture of Grandma Braegger and the Relief Society sisters in the Providence 2nd ward

 Mum, with her best friend Margie
Daddy's family

My great grand parents...front center...That's my grampa Braegger on the right in back.

That's me...age 5

Grandma Braegger...age 18

 Another picture of daddy, his brothers and sisters and grandma and grampa.
This is my great grandmother...Gottleiben.  As I read about her life in a history my cousin Lana had put together, I could understand why she looked so sad.  She had  a very hard life. She came here from Germany, married my grandfather, then about 5 years later, he went back to Germany on a mission.  He met a lady there and she came to Providence to be with him. Him and this woman were both excommunicated from the church and he ended up marrying her.
Gottleiben never learned English and did her best to raise her children alone.  It was mentioned that Jakob ( my great grandfather) felt bad all his life for the unhappiness he had caused  and would bring treats and gifts for the kids on holidays.  His membership in the church was  re- established later in his life, but he lived out his life there in Providence with this other woman...causing much humiliation to Gottleiben who lived there too.  Gosh my heart goes out to her....it was interesting to read this story...I've never heard anyone talk about it before.

 Our cute family...pre-me.
 This was the first picture that appeared in the newspaper talking about mum and daddy's beautiful garden.
 Young Jean
I love this one!

Irrigating...wow, how many pictures like this one I have stored in my heart!



 The girls

At Bear Lake
We would go there every summer...pretty much best outing ever!  After a fun day floating on the old inner tube and playing in the water, we would go to Tony Grove for a picnic...mum's fried chicken...I can still smell it!


Oh this was a good one...I could never remember what our house was like before they built the bedrooms upstairs and down.  It said on this picture that this was just before they tore down the west room.

Love this picture of me and daddy.  You can see he was just pouring the foundation for the addition to the house.


This is me ...not a lot of baby pictures, but I understand, being # 5.

Awwwww,  this was at Tony Grove lake...I remember catching pollywog's there in the shallow water.

Young Jean and Del

Daddy and Aunt Dorella...love this picture!

It said mum was 18 here

Lena and Elmer Tibbitts...grandma and grandpa.  I didn't know Lena...she died in 1955.  Then Grampa married Edith.  That's the grandma I grew up with.  Looking forward to meeting Grandma Lena in the next life.  Reading her life history was wonderful and helped me feel closer to her.  She was a hard working woman!  I was amazed at all the things they did to keep their family going.  They farmed, raised their own animals, grew all kinds of fruit and berries to sell, and served faithfully in their many church callings and in the Temple.

This was in front of the house mum grew up in with daddy, Bruce, grandma and grandpa, Elmer, Dyrene, and Marcell.

 Mum's house
 Mum with her mutual girls...she served there for many years and always talked about how much she loved it.

Teina and I with Bruce's son Shawn

This was in front of Teina's house in China Lake.  Teina lived there the first few years of her marriage.  We went on a trip to visit them when I was about 13.  ( I made that top I had on in home EC!)
This trip was pretty monumental!  I had never been to California ( or anywhere else for that matter) and we got to go to the beach!






Oh my best friend Donette!  We had so much fun together and were pretty much inseparable!   

This was on my Baptism day


Leslie Lapray..  She lived across the street and we were best friends from the earliest time I can remember. Some of my favorite memories with her were playing on the monkey bars ( clothes line) and making up shows to put on for my family.  We would play in the ditch in front of her house.  It was cemented on the bottom and we would dam it off at the top, then when it got full, we would pull out the board and it would send us sailing down the ditch....scraping our bottoms all the way.  We would end up with nothing left of the backside of our shorts...Ha! Mum would scold me, but it was sure fun!



Leslie and I out shoveling snow....seems like we used to get more snow back then.

Leslie Lapray and I (dress up was another favorite pass-time)







2 comments:

lessdirtydirt said...

I love these pictures!! You are still so beautiful and look just as sweet as your 5 year old self.

Angie said...

I love looking through pictures and am glad you are sharing them on here!! those were the days everybody was so laid back.