Sunday, March 11, 2012

Had a pretty cool experience at the temple yesterday.  Colleen had called a few days ago  and asked if we could fill in for Mendenhalls cause it was our turn to rotate out.  I told her that Stacey had already asked us to fill in for her and Rick cause he was on call. I told her I would see if KC wanted to come...he could fill in as a witness anyway.  KC said he would like to do that, so he went with us. 
We were the first ones there, so we had some time to chat with Brother Larsen, our sealer ( and pretty much the nicest man I've ever known).  He was asking KC about his mission and saying something about his own mission.  KC asked him where he had served and he said Tahiti!   He had been there as a missionary in 1950, then gone back two more times and served as  mission president and  area rep. 
The  Buhlers got there about this time and he told us all about a special experience he had there..  He said when he was serving as a missionary there, a good friend  who he served with had been working on constructing a building there and was about 20 feet up on some scaffolding when he lost his balance and fell off.  He was falling to the ground, when all the sudden he feels himself being lifted up and sat back on the scaffolding.  It was a very sacred experience for him and he only shared it with a few people...including our sealer.  Many years later, when Brother Larsen had gone back to serve as a mission president, this same man was there with him.  Brother Larsen felt inspired to go back to this same area where this incident had happened  many years before.  While they were there, they were approached by a man who said " aren't you Brother  Peterson?  The man with Brother Larsen said "yes...how do you know me?"  This man said he had been a young boy, about 10, when he had seen this man fall off the scaffolding, then be lifted back to safety by unseen hands.  He said he had never forgot it.
We got to talking about daddy and when he had been there. I told them about daddy's journals that were written in Tahitian.  Brother Larsen said he had a good friend who had served his mission in Tahiti as well who was trying to put together a history of the missionary work there.  He said he was having a hard time finding any information  from the time just before the war broke out....which was exactly when daddy was there.  I told him we would he happy to share these journals and pictures we have with his friend and would be glad if they could help.  He was pretty excited and so was I!  I told him we have been wanting to translate them but didn't know where to go to find someone who could help us.
After we were done with the sealing session, he told us a few more experiences about his mission there and they were so similar to things I remember daddy telling us.  It was pretty neat...coincidence that KC had come with us and asked Brother Larsen about his mission?  I don't think so.
Another very special thing was being able to do these sealings with KC.  When I was looking through some of mums papers and things that I brought home, I came across a paper she had filled out that was like a personal history  questionnaire.  One of the questions was  "What was your very best day?"  She answered " The day I was able to be with all my daughters in the temple."  She said the only thing that could have been better would be if Bruce could have been there too. 
I agree with her 100 percent...there isn't anything better than to get to be with your kids in the temple. 

1 comment:

Angie said...

What a great experience! I am so glad there is someone that can translate the journals! I love being at the temple with my family such a great experience.