Friday, March 2, 2012

Sunset

Kelley got me this book for Valentines day...I think he's heard me say I wanted to read it.  Wow, what a sweet and tender story.  Brother Wilcox lost his wife to a brain tumor about a year ago.  He was still teaching when they found out she had cancer, so he would share a little with us every week of what they were going through.  Then towards the end of her life, he didn't come anymore and had a substitute there to teach us.  I was glad to see that he had written about their experience...he has a way of putting hard things into perspective....a perspective that gives you hope and peace.
Over the years of his teaching this group of ladies ( and a few men) that would meet out in a Draper chapel ( and usually the whole overflow and gym) every Wednesday, I feel like I have grown to know and love him as an amazing teacher.  He knows the scriptures and can teach what's in them in a way that is interesting and personal and understandable...in a way that lets you see how you can apply them in your own life and makes you want to try to become a better person.
I would leave the class every week with my heart and mind full.
He stopped teaching our class after that...he was just doing it out of the goodness of his heart anyway...he has retired from teaching at the U.    But I guess he hasn't really stopped teaching...now I see him in the paper all the time advertising these tours that he hosts.  He talks in this book about how he is trying to keep busy with these other projects so he won't dwell on missing her so much.
Can you imagine going on one of these tours?  That would be awesome!  Nancy told me last night that her and Dave went on a tour he did not too long after his wife died.  She said it was pretty amazing as she shared her story with him about how her and Dave had gotten together after both of their spouses had passed away. (Theirs is truly a extraordinary example of being guided by our Heavenly Father)

Nancy and I got talking about it on the way home from choir practice...( which is also what got me thinking about this)  We are singing in a choir of ladies from all over the valley called "We Also Sing", being directed by Merrilee Webb.  We will be singing in May at the tabernacle!  It's so fun to sing with these ladies...they sound amazing! Merrilee is indescribable. So very talented and funny and has so much energy, it wears me out just to sit and listen to her.  
They have picked some really cool songs...some I know, and some I've never heard of.  We worked on one last night  from Little Women called "Some things were meant to be"  It's very tender as it talks about these two sisters who love each other so much, but one of them is dying. It tells of all the things they want to do and share together, but then they have to part as Beth dies.  It talks of loving and letting go.   One of my favorite parts  of singing in this choir is that Merrilee takes the time to talk to us about the songs and how we can make them part of us....last night a lot of the ladies there wanted to share their feelings about this subject and experiences they were going through.  There was a sweet spirit there as woman after woman stood and told us why this song meant so much to them. Each one had related it to their experience of losing someone or something they were going through right then.  One lady stood and told us that she had just been diagnosed with breast cancer that day.   I guess we all have felt the pain and fear of death or losing someone we love.
 I just finished this book and was touched by what a sweet love story it was.   Bro. Wilcox used to always talk about his wife and how he adored her and it was very evident in this book.  He not only shared the journey they have been on for the past year, but how important it is to cherish every day that we have with the people we love.
I recommend this book to everyone...especially if your heart is still aching from the loss of someone you love.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I need to get this book it sounds amazing! I am glad you are able to have such neat experiences. love ya