Friday, May 27, 2011

Treasures...


Spent a wonderful day at mums with my sisters...





I picked up Teina and Brenda and we met Leslie up there about 10:30.



I had loaded all of mum's things I had down here to take it up there so we could all go through it together.



We started going through her things, each taking a turn to pick something. Unfortunately, I am about twice her size, so her clothes wouldn't fit. I was glad my sisters could use some of her things though, she had some pretty blouses.



Mom was funny about getting new clothes....and she rarely did it.



We would meet in Ogden and go shopping with her...trying to help her pick something out.



She had a real hard time deciding (This explains a lot about my problems) and would try on a million things....nothing was quite right...neck too low, (this was usually the problem...it was funny, going through her things upstairs, we found about 8 dickeys...all ones she had made herself...she was really serious about not showing her moles on her neck!) Then after much coaxing from us, she would break down and buy something.



Then the next day, she would take it back. We found several gift cards from places she had bought things, then returned it.



After we finished up with all the stuff I had brought, we went upstairs and started again where we left off last week.



We surely found some treasures...pillowcases embroidered on by mom, then the fancy edge work done by either aunt Kate, or grandma Tibbitts.



The work on these in unbelievable!
We decided we would take back all the things we had given mum and daddy over the years.




This was one of my favorites...I love this picture
It will always remind me of how I felt in mum and daddy's yard.

This was a table cloth Kelley and I bought in St. Thomas when we were on a cruise years ago.
I asked mom several times why she didn't get it out and use it.
She said it was too pretty.
(still in the bag...un-opened)








More pillowcases...can you imagine the hours spent?


We got to talking about how important it used to be to have a truseau...you had to have all your pillowcases, dish clothes(all embroidered on with cute designs or animals or monday...tuesday...), quilts, china, and pots and pans before you could even thing about getting married.
Not so much anymore. It really is a lost art.


Amazing doilies and quilts...



This was a cool latch hook that daddy did. He would get stir crazy in the winter when he couldn't work outside and would never just sit around or watch tv, so he would do things like this.




This was the cook book I grew up with...all the recipes from ladies in the ward....some real classics. I have one that I've used all of my married life and it looks like it!


(no cover, the first pages gone...lots of drips and rips on my favorite recipes)





This is the picture she has had on her dresser for as long as I can remember.




We were all wanting this one....some of daddy's bead work.


I felt guilty when my name was drawn...wish we could all have it!


Daddy had a fascination for Indian artwork...there are lots more pictures. I guess it was the cowboy in him. Very cool frames on this set.



There were enough afghans for us each to have a nice one mom had made.








It was really neat to see these old treasures that had been hidden away in the back of a closet for years and years.



About 1:00 Deloy came over to talk to us about a tree that was tipping over and was close to an electrical wire. He said he had called the power company and they were going to come over and


take some branches off. He is a kind man with not a lot to do, and we appreciate him watching out for moms place... but sometimes, he just goes a little overboard.


We talked to him for a while, then it was time to meet with mom's attorney.


I couldn't remember him till we went in his office...then it all came back from when we had met with him with mom after daddy died.


Mom had decided at that time to put daddy's life insurance policy back into her life insurance policy instead of cashing it out....that's so like her....unselfish and wanting for our happiness and well being before her own.


The attorney helped us fill out all the important papers and we were done.


We went to the cemetary and put our flowers on all the graves, then just kind of wandered through the cemetary, looking at headstones of people who had touched our lives as we were growing up and remembering....

We went to lunch at Costa Vida ( very fun!...I so enjoy spending this time with my sisters!)


Then we went back to mums to take up were we left off. We went through stuff till about 8:00...we got a lot done, but it's still just the tip of the iceberg. We aren't in any hurry though.. I think we all need this time together... reminiscing, laughing and loving. I know it's been therapeutic for me.

1 comment:

stacey said...

wow...what treasures! Lucky...no...blessed!