Monday, May 2, 2011



This past week has been a rough one...watching mom struggle with this cough is agonizing...I feel so helpless. She has improved somewhat...she hasn't been straining so hard to breath, and her cough has eased up some, but she still has times where she is coughing nonstop. I've been giving her the morphine when she can't stop coughing and it seems to calm her and she will sleep for a while.


She gets worse in the night, so I will go down and give her a dose of morphine to help her settle down. Sometimes I just sit there with her till she dozes off. It's given me lots of time to think about how blessed I have been to have such a wonderful mother. She has touched so many lives..it seems like everyone who meets her, just falls in love with her.



When I think about the time mother has been with us, I've been overwhelmed with gratitude to all the wonderful, caring people who have helped us....



First and foremost, my own family. They have been there consistently for me. Kelley is so great with mom and is right there to help me lift and move mom when I need him. He always goes and talks to her when he gets home from work...cheers up her day and mine too!


Candice has been amazing with grandma...she comes over when ever she can during the week and spends every Sunday with her. I have watched Candice change over the past few months as she has opened her heart completely to grandma and served her with love and compassion. She is so tender and caring with her...as I watched her yesterday, I was really touched. She pays close attention to her every need and notices things that I overlooked. So grateful for Candice...her huge heart and her willingness to help.



Katie and Camille have been so supportive to me too. I get calls and texts every day asking how grandma is doing and sending their love and encouragement. How did I get so lucky to have such great daughters.


The aides that have come to help me have all been good, but we have been very blessed to have been able to have Rebecca come into our lives. She has got to be one of the most loving, kind hearted, caring people I know. She is very intuitive and seems to be able to understand what mom is going through and knows how to reach her. This past week, she has come in a few extra times to help me. She is so sweet with mom...Saturday when mom woke up, she seemed distressed and anxious. Rebecca came in and could tell she wasn't feeling good. She sat on the side of her bed and talked with her for a while before she went to get her up and into the shower. After she was all ready for the day, Rebecca kneels down close to mom and takes her hands in hers and says "I'm so sorry your not feeling good today...I will keep a prayer in my heart for you today...I love you Jean"



Such an amazing lady...I don't know what I'm going to do without her.


I am also so grateful for good friends who are always there to help me. Stacey has been so kind and helpful...stopping in several times while we were gone to help my sisters, and always there for me with a shoulder to lean on. Love her!


Sure am grateful for the love I have felt from all my dear friends as they ask how mom is doing... many have offered to come in and help me whenever I need them...and I know they would!


I've felt an outpouring of love and support from my wonderful sisters and their families...sweet notes, care packages, encouraging words, visits, phone calls, and their fasting and prayers in our behalf have been so appreciated.


I surely have been surrounded and lifted up by sweet angels these past few months....can't ever thank them enough. Just hope they are being blessed the way I am as we spend these precious days with mom.

No comments: