Tuesday, March 29, 2011

This morning mom woke up pretty early. I came down and got her up and ready for the day. We came into the family room and I turned on the tv...the tv came on but not the cable ( a weird thing our remote does) so there was no picture. Mom said "Oh there's my dad!" I said "where?" She said " he was on the tv!" As we stared at the black screen, I was like "hmmmm do you still see him?" She said "No, he's gone now." Weird. I remember Maxine visiting with relatives that had passed on when she was close to the end of her life. She would look up into the corner of her bedroom and have a very clear conversation with them. It was a little creepy, but very special and sacred to witness how thin the veil really is. I remember her talking about death and comforting all of us. "It's not scary...just like walking into the next room" I don't doubt that mom got a glimpse of her dads face...they are not far away. Then I asked her what she wanted for breakfast. She said how about an egg. So I made her a fried egg and some toast. When I took it to her, she looked at it like she was really surprised. Then she said "I can't believe you laid an egg for me!" I told her the chicken did most of the work...I just cooked it. Then we both got the giggles. Cheryl came to do a check up on mom. She measured her arms, legs, and around her tummy so she could compare those measurements with the first time she came. She said it had been 90 days! She asked me how she had been eating....not so much lately. She was smaller in her arms and legs...( she can hardly hold up her support stockings....they just kind of hang there all wrinkly and loose.) Then she tested her blood and said her level was way too high. She called the doctor and they want me to not give her cumadin for two days and gave me a prescription for a vitamin K pill. She said they need to thin her blood down quick. The nurse always comments about how good natured and sweet mother is. I can't agree more. Sure do love my mom.

1 comment:

Angie said...

It was great to talk to you yesterday! It was fun to talk to grandma too. I hope I make it back for another visit before she passes on. Of course we have been talking about her going for years and she sure has proved us wrong:)What a blessing it will be when she does go. Thanks for all you do! love you