Friday, March 11, 2011

Oh my poor honey...Last night when I was making dinner (pork chops and sliced potatoes that get all crispy yummy in the fry pan) Kelley said "why don't you use that nice little slicer thing that came with the new chopper?"
Ha! great idea!
So I dug it out of the back room and finished peeling the potatoes. Then I started looking for the thing you poke into the potato that holds it so you don't have to slice your fingers.
In the two seconds it took me to find the holder thing, Kelley had picked up a potato and started slicing. Within about three slices, I hear,"that's not good." (Kelley is not much of a swearer...mostly just at church)
I look over to see blood gushing out of his thumb.
"What did you dooooooo?"
He obviously forgot that the blades on this fabulous new chopper are so sharp you should only handle them with metal armor on.
Oh dear, I don't do very good with blood, tried to not let it get to me so I could help him. He said " maybe just grab me a few bandaids" So I got them all opened and put them on, but within about two seconds, they were saturated. So he just stood letting the blood run in the sink. blahhhhhh. We were thinking it was good KC wasn't there cause he would have been a gonner for sure.
We decided to try putting pressure on it (wrapped in a paper towel) for a minute till it stopped bleeding. Kelley agreed to go lay down , which kind of scared me. He has got to be the most stubborn man I know (not as stubborn as he used to be, but still very stubborn!)
Anywho, he laid down for a while, then we bandaged it up good. He took a shower and when he got out, it was bleeding pretty good again.
Stitches? Ha! I think it would take another confrontation with the table saw to get him into the emergency room again.
We bandaged again and I thought it would be ok now.
Not so much. This is a picture he sent me from work today.
He really needs to take better care of what fingers her has left! When we were in the temple last week, I was looking at his hands, and they are looking pretty rough! Wait, that is a huge understatement! They look like he has been hitting them with rocks! Lots of cuts and cracks and nails that looked like they have been smashed with a hammer.
I love his hands though...they are big and strong and worn and very man looking. Reminds me of my dad's hands...rough, calloused hands of a hard working man.
(don't worry, I won't tell anyone you got that awful cut slicing potatoes for your wife)

1 comment:

Angie said...

poor guy that is awful! I like your analogy though. I love looking at my dad's hands too. They always have cuts and callous's from working too hard.