Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mom has been doing really good the past few days. She had a dentist appointment on Tuesday so I had planned to meet with all my sisters when we went up to Logan.
Mom woke up a little later (7:00) and I was happy to sleep in a little bit. I haven't been able to sleep for more than about 4 or 5 hours this past week or so. Don't know why...I just wake up about 1:30-2:00 every night. I've tried all the tricks...no caffeine, staying up later, I even tried an ambian...well I tried a half one night...nothing. So I tried a whole one the next night. No change.
I usually read until I feel like I can go to sleep (this usually happens about 5 when Kelley's alarm starts going off.) Oh well, I guess I will just have to live with it. It's wearing me down though. I'm getting crabby. Snapped at Kelley yesterday over nothing. Sorry.
Anyway, I got mom up and going. I was glad she was really with it and her mind was totally here. She was excited to see everyone and in a really good mood. She helped me pick out something nice to wear and I did her hair up cute. Got her breakfast, then I went and got myself ready to go.
Now to tackle the stairs...haven't done that by myself before. She was moving pretty well and was a trooper going up the stairs. (I think her mind set has a lot to do with how well she moves.)
I had pulled the car into the driveway so she could get in easier. Well we did pretty good till we tried going down the front steps. She did fine on the first few steps, then her heel got caught on the step and she couldn't move it. I was holding her up from the front, and couldn't free her shoe, so we both just went down slowly. She just sat on the step for a minute, then was ready to try to get up again. That was the hard part...getting her from that low to a standing position again. Her legs just aren't strong enough to push herself up. So I got behind her and tried to lift her. Not so easy....but we made it! I got her over to the car and she got in pretty slick ( with me pushing from behind)
We stopped and picked up Teina on the way. I was kind of worried what mom would think when we got to her house....I was thinking she might not want to leave again. But she didn't. I think she realizes now that she cannot be there alone anymore.
Brenda and Leslie came a while later and we had some lunch and were able to sit and talk about a few things. I can't say we really resolved anything, (what will we do with mom's house?????) We all have pretty strong feelings about it but not all on the same page. It's a very emotional subject! None of us want to let it go, but none of us want to buy it either. Actually, I would love to buy it if I had the money.
We talked mostly about Faith staying there and what would be a fair price to charge her. Mom's utilities are ridiculously high. The house is so drafty, the furnace runs nonstop. Then in the summer, her water bill is out of sight. We had talked about having her just cover the utilities, but that's not going to be very cheap either. I need to talk to Leslie (Faith's mom) about it.
We talked about trading off having mom at our house, but it's pretty much not do-able for Leslie and Brenda. Teina said she could possibly have her there, but it would be hard with the way her bathroom is set up.
Brenda suggested an assisted living center. I'm thinking that as long as I can care for her, I will.
Leslie had to get back to work, so Brenda came with Teina, mum and I to the dentist office. Getting mom into the car that time didn't go as smoothly. She only got about half way in and couldn't get any farther. We were all behind her trying to push her onto the seat but it wasn't happening. We all got the giggles, then it was really over. Had to get her back on the driveway, regroup and try it again. This time we all just lifted her into the seat. Whew!
I pulled up right by the office and Teina and Brenda helped her walk in. She did really well. She was in there for quite a while getting her teeth cleaned. When she was done, the hygienist came out and told us a few things she needed to have done. Mom had told her that she wanted to get her missing tooth replaced, but we decided against it. The nurse said it probably wouldn't be worth all the work and expense.
We stopped back by the house and I got a few more of her things that I thought would make her feel more comfortable at my house and headed home.
It was nice the next day when the nurse came, she asked mom what she had liked about this past week and she said " Well, I'm living here with Paula now, and she takes really good care of me. I'm happy here." That was the first time I had heard her admit that she was living with me now...and to hear that she was happy really made me happy too!

2 comments:

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

You and your posse are doing such a great job of loving and caring for your Mom! Pat yourselves on the back!

Angie said...

What a tough thing it is to get old. Lets just not do it ok?! Thanks! I am so glad you are still willing to keep grandma even if she is a handful. Sorry your not getting much sleep though:( love ya