Monday, March 7, 2011

A few random things from the past few days...
I was having mom look though some genealogy sheets and pictures I had to see if she could remember who some of the people in the pictures were. We had a good time reading over some of the relatives life historys.
Then I found some old records she had given to me years ago that I had never really looked at before.
This was the hospital records of my birth... Gosh I even had cute feet back then! ( pretty much my best feature)
This one has my weight and size...8 lb. 4 oz...21 1/2 inches long. This one is the total bill. 81.60 Oh my how times have changed. Paid in full with cash on January 7.
I love that about my parents. They never in their lives bought anything on credit except for the house. If they wanted something and didn't have the money, they would work and save till they did. We didn't get new things very often...mostly just figured that we could get along with what we had. Daddy was the king of making something out of nothing. He had saved every old board, piece of tin, nails, glass, old wheels, handles, anything you could think of he had out in his garage and if you had something that was broken, 99 percent of the time, he would be able to fix it up.
I didn't get a lot of new things...being # five, I was in line for a lot of hand me downs. Mom always sewed cute clothes for all us girls though.
I remember when I was in the fifth grade, mom came and picked me up from school and took me over to town to try on a coat she had seen on sale at JC Penney's. It was a beautiful white fur coat and I remember feeling just like a princess with it on.
When I graduated from junior high school, I got the prettiest blue dress to wear to the graduation ceremony. Then, I got a real surprise...a ten speed bike! It was a pretty yellow and I loved it! My girl friends all had one too so we had a lot of fun on them. We even rode our bikes out to Hyrum dam during the summer to swim.
When I was in high school, everyone liked to go skiing. I didn't have ski's so I rented a few times. Then for Christmas that year, I found a beautiful set of ski's and boots under the tree. (they weren't new, but in great condition and I loved them!)
I know that my mom and dad worked hard so we could have a good comfortable life. They wanted us to have the things we felt were important at the time...but were sensible about it and didn't spoil us.
I guess I got thinking about this during our Sunday school lesson. It was on the Sermon on the mount. He was talking about one of my favorite scriptures..."Where your treasure is...there your heart will be also."
People that set their happiness on getting "things" are usually never satisfied and just keep wanting more...doesn't ever give you the true feeling of peace.
I was just feeling thankful that my parents planted in my heart that the true lasting treasures are faith, family, and loving relationships. That is all we really need...
A few random pictures Camille has sent me the past few days....gosh I miss them!It's not snowing in phoenix



We had a great YW activity the other night. Kim lined up a gal that Mark works with that came and taught the girls some self defense.

The girls really got into it and learned some moves that could really save you. I was glad to learn them too!






Candice and I met over at the DI Saturday to look for a table to put her sewing machine on. We didn't find one, but had fun looking at stuff. When we came out, this wreck had just happened right there on the corner. Looked bad. They were trying to get the people out of the car that had flipped over.
A good reminder to drive more carefully.

Saturday afternoon, Kelley and I went out to the Draper Temple and did a bunch of sealings of names that Kim had found. It was pretty cool to do family names. I could feel the sweetest feeling in the room and I think we may have had angels with us...I guess it showed on my face because the sealer commented that I just looked happy. I don't know how you can not be happy when you are helping these people who have waited so many years to move forward with their progression. (Also, kneeling across the alter from my good husband and being reminded of the fact that I am sealed to this man for time and all eternity....well it makes me happy!)
The sealer taught us some things that I have not thought of before that really made sense to me and gave the sealing ceremony even more meaning and importance.
While I was waiting for Kelley to come out of the dressing room, I was talking to one of the temple workers there. She was telling me about some of the paintings in the Draper Temple. There is one of Moses being taught by God that was really striking. Then she talked about a painting of Martha and Mary with Jesus. She told me how she had always had a hard time with that story because she felt like she was like Martha...always the one who did the work, but tried to do what was right too. She said she noticed in the painting that Martha was standing back working, but was listening intently to what Jesus was saying. She said she hopes that the Martha's will be blessed for their good hearts too.
I was just really touched by this sweet lady's thoughts. I think we all have our own unique personalities...our strengths and weaknesses and each of us is placed in our own situation in this life... I think God knows what is in our hearts and doesn't want us to try to be like somebody else...he wants us to be ourselves and do the very best that WE can do.
Anyway, it was one of those days at the temple that you come away feeling really glad that you went.

1 comment:

Angie said...

How fun that you found that stuff from when you were born. Times sure have changed! I loved that about them too never buying anything they couldn't pay for in cash. You have some really sweet memories. I would take a homemade dress over a bought one any day if grandma was doing it. She was an amazing seamstress!