Tuesday, March 22, 2011

So today I was supposed to be having surgery (hysteroscopy and D and C and removal of a polyp.) I have been giving this a lot of thought...in fact, last Friday, I called the doctors office to talk to Dr. Roth about it. I have been feeling like I needed to see if there might be some other options.
He wasn't in the office on Friday, but I had a good talk with Stephanie (she is a wonderful nurse...I wonder sometimes if the nurse knows better whats going on than the doctor! She looked at my ultrasound pictures and said my problems didn't look extreme and sometimes you can treat in other ways...but to come in for my pre- op consultation Monday and talk things over with Dr. Roth.
So yesterday I met with Dr. Roth. He told me about my polyp and the lining of my uterus and said he wasn't worried about it being cancerous. They were most concerned about the heavy bleeding I've been having and wanted to get that to stop.
He said there is a drug that is supposed to thin the lining of the uterus and could possibly shrink the polyp too. He said he didn't see anything that looked urgent so we could try that first, then if it doesn't work, I would have to have the surgery. HOORAY! I was so happy!
So I came home and called Teina to let her know she wouldn't need to come stay with mom. She has been so wonderful, helpful and supportive!
I feel very much at peace with this decision and look at it as a blessing to at least be able to postpone the surgery to a time when things are not so overwhelming as they are right now.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I am sorry you are having troubles. I wish life wasn't so overwhelming for you. You have taken on a huge job with grandma and I worry about your happiness. I hope things work out.

Camille said...

lets celebrate you not having surgery...come here. thanks.