Monday, April 4, 2011

Beware of the cats...

Mom is having a hard time today....she actually started down this road Saturday when I went to get her out of bed. She got into the standing position, but then seemed like she was frozen. I had the wheel chair right up against her, but she couldn't turn around and sit in it. I tried to help her get in it, but she kept saying "I need to get my bearings" and went down on her knees. I was so glad Kelley was home...I ran and got him and he came and lifted her into the wheel chair. Getting her onto the toilet was....difficult....She didn't want to let go of the hand rail which she needs to do, to reach the toilet. Rebecca didn't get here till about nine and I couldn't leave mom sitting there waiting that long, so I got her in the shower. Rebecca got there as we were finishing up. She has a patient right before mom that is needing some extra care, so I know she can't help getting there late. I needed to get out of the house, so while she was getting mom ready and doing her hair, I went for a run down the canal road. It felt good...it was a beautiful day and after being in the steamy bathroom, I needed some fresh cool air. We watched conference (which was quite wonderful and uplifting) then I ran to the store to get some groceries while Kelley was home with mom. He is so great with her. He brought her a beautiful bunch of flowers the other day. She couldn't believe he would do that! The other night I went to do baptisms for the dead with the YW and Kelley stayed with mom. When I got home and was getting her to bed, she said, "You are lucky to have such a special man" I said "I sure am!' He always jokes with her and makes her feel better...Saturday morning when I was trying to get her in the wheel chair and she ended up on the floor on her hands and knees, he came in the room and said, "Grandma, if you're going to pray, let me know so I can join you!" Saturday night while Kelley was at priesthood meeting, I fixed mom a good dinner. When I sat down with her to bless it, she said she wanted to do it. She always says the most lovely prayers...a little repetitive, but so beautiful and sincere. This time, she couldn't remember how to start the prayer. She stammered for at least a minute, (my heart was breaking!) then busted out with "bless the scooter store!" I guess that was the last thing she had heard on the tv. I tried so hard not to laugh! oh dear! Then she went on for 15 minutes saying a lot of stuff that didn't make any sense at all. Yesterday, she was really confused when I got her out of bed. "I don't know this place!" She didn't eat much all day and was pretty quiet. My heart just breaks when she is like this. Then this morning, well, It has been like talking to someone from another planet...She hasn't made any sense at all. What ever she sees on the tv, she will have something to say about it...It started with the price is right. I was up fixing her breakfast and when I brought it down, she said "The price was wrong! And it's New York Life's fault!...they are going to have to pay millions to those people....did they take your money too?" I told her that it was just a game show on tv and they didn't take our money. She still went on about it. I can't remember all the things she has said this morning...pretty much something to do with everything she sees on tv....and all complete nonsense. Lizzy stole her cookie out of her hand and instead of blaming Lizzy, she said the cats were stealing all the food right off the shelves in the stores. Then they were stealing the money right out of the banks. Then President Monson came on the news and she said "Did you hear that? President Monson said we all should get a machine gun to protect ourselves from the cats...they are stealing our tithing!" Oh dear! I have stopped trying to explain or disagree.... I just say "really????" and " hmmmm that's interesting". The mind is such an amazingly complex thing! What is going on in there? I hate to see mom digress like this, but I knew it was inevitable. It seems like she will have a a few bad days, then be her old self again....I'm sure hoping for that.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Wow I am so sorry that is awful! I am sorry your having to deal with this its not fun. I will pray for you all.