Monday, March 14, 2011

Mom

Lizzy is grandma's new bff. She doesn't leave her side. The other night mom said..."could wiggy sleep by me?" So she did. Lizzy follows her where ever she goes...sits outside the bathroom door till she comes out...then will trot over and lay by her feet. (The fact that she feeds her whatever food she doesn't want might have something to do with it)
It makes me sad that we didn't get a new pet for mom all those years after mittens died. I kept offering to get a new kitty for her but she would always insist that she couldn't have another pet because it hurt too much when she died. Pets give such an unconditional love... I think they are wonderful and can only do good for everyone involved!
I Just wanted to let Candice and Kelley know how much I appreciate everything they do to help with Grandma.
She has had some pretty rough days where she is very confused and paranoid and then there are good days when her mind is really clear and she is her sweet old self. I don't know what causes the change...really no explanation for it. Camille and Forest said it well..."kind of like a box of chocolates...you just don't know what you're going to get"
Anyway, the past little while, I think Kelley has been able to see the many different faces of Jean.
I love how he talks with her...never patronizing or talking to her like a child like some people do. He always jokes with her and gets her to laugh.
Saturday morning, Kelley was home and we were waiting for Rebecca to come. (Mom has been waking up super early this past week...like around 6:00! Ahhhhhhhhh I don't want to be awake at 6:00!) Anyway, I heard Kelley downstairs talking to her. She was very adamantly telling him that he needed to roll it back! He said what do you want to roll back....the blanket ? She said "yes! I don't want it on me! So Kelley folded it up and set it aside. Then she said "Now you have to roll it back!" I said what do you want to roll back? and she looked at the tv. I said do you want to watch that show again that you have been watching? ( she had been watching a dog show on animal planet) She said No! I don't want anymore dog shows! I think about this point, Kelley and I just looked at each other like WOW! Kelley stayed with her and kept trying to talk to her and calm her and I ran in the bathroom and buried my face in a stack of towels so she couldn't hear me.... half laughing, half crying at the whole situation.
Then there was the day of the big earthquake in Japan. We had been watching on the news as the story unfolded.
I had to run a few errands, but got mom all situated so she would be ok while I was gone. When I got home about an hour later, she had gotten up out of the chair...don't ask me how, and moved over to the couch. She was sitting on the edge of the couch, wringing her hands when I walked in. I said "mom what are you doing over here?" She said " I was so worried about you...I was looking everywhere for you! They said there was missing people and I thought you were one of them!"
Oh dear.
Sometimes she gets confused of what is on tv and what is real. I noticed one day she was taking her grilled cheese sandwich apart and pulling the cheese out. I asked her if she needed me to cut it up of if she needed some help with it. She had been watching the Today show with Kathylee and Hoda and she said "I can't get Kathylee to help me...she won't even have a bite of my sandwich!" (I don't think she cares too much for Kathylee) I am just like "oh mom... what in the world are you talking about?"
Saturday afternoon Candice came over and stayed with Grandma while Kelley and I went to do sealings. Right before we left, Phillip and Stacey came over to visit grandma. (They are great!) Anyway, I didn't have a chance to get her to the bathroom before I left, so later, Candice asked grandma if she needed to go. ( I'm sure she didn't think she would want to...she never does) but go figure...she said "Yes I do!" So Candice got to take grandma to the bathroom all by herself....not easy to do!
Then on Sunday, she came over and spent the afternoon with mom while we were at church. Candice is really great with grandma...I think she would do well in a profession of caring for elderly. She can talk easily with her and I can see how much mom likes having her around. She will ask me in the morning...is Candice here?
I'm just really grateful for the support I have been given and the wonderful family I have been blessed to be a part of...I know I couldn't do this without their help.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I am so sorry Paula! Its so hard to watch when people get this way.Hang in there and hopefully you can come to some conclusions when you meet this week. love you