Saturday, May 9, 2009

May Day

This is my last week in no particular order, not because I didn't want to put it in order, but because I am a spaz at putting these pictures on here!








I got to spend this last weekend with mom. It was pretty rainy most of the time I was there, but I was able to do a little yard work. We sat down together and looked through her old records of how she had done the flower beds in the past years. We picked out some that she said had turned out real good and figured what kind of plants we would need and how many. They are still about 3 weeks behind up there as far as safe planting goes so in the next few weeks, we will go get her flowers. It was fun looking through her old records and reading the little comments her and Daddy had made about the yard. They used to start planning what they would do around the end of January...they would sit at the kitchen table together with a bowl of popcorn, mulling over the seed catalogs and selecting just the right plants for each of the many flower beds in the yard.Then they would send for the seed. It was like Christmas when the seed arrived in the mail. By this time Daddy had gotten all the flats ready to plant by mixing his special concoction of dirt, purlite, vermiculite, compost of leaves and stuff they went up the canyon to collect, and such. Then mother would start the planting. I have great memories of sitting under the workbench in the greenhouse playing while she would spend hours planting the tiny seeds and marking them and watering them and loving them. It seemed like they could make anything grow. You would find little starts of flowers she had seen and picked off a little piece, at different places she would go (temple grounds, neighbors flower beds, lagoon) in little pots in her window sill. And they would all grow! After the seeds came up, then she would thin them out and seperate them. Then after a few months in the green house, they would be big enough to plant outside.
We would all help carry out the flats of geraniums ( that she would get starts off of the fall before and plant and grow all winter in the greenhouse) to their appointed beds. Then we would clean off all the dead leaves and tip the plant upside down and tap the pot gently to get the plant out. We'd hand it to mother and she would dig a hole (perfectly spaced, she had a eye for it and was very fussy about this! I remember when I was older and had taken over the job, she would come out and frown at the plants if they weren't evenly spaced out, so I would move them to the proper distance) and gently set it in. People would visit the yard all the time just to walk around and look at the beautiful flowers. They would come and take wedding picutres there and want to have parties and receptions there. Daddy kept the place immaculate. Not to mention growing a huge vegetable garden that always provided for our family and lots of neighbors and friends too. Now that we have taken over the job, we all realize just how much work he did to keep the yard so beautiful. We have scaled back a lot and let some of the flower beds fill with ground cover. The greenhouse sits empty and quiet now...There is no garden anymore, which I think makes mom kind of sad. We have been getting her a tomato plant to keep on the patio so she can at least have a fresh tomato to eat, but it's not the same. We all pitch in and plant flowers in the spring and take our turns with the irrigation, and luckily have a great mower that comes every week, but we have to let a lot of stuff go. I'm sure Daddy knows we are trying our best. Anyway I do digress, or reminesse or something.



Ok so how cute are these girls? I was able to go to the 6th ward recognition of these four girls receiving their YW Medallions. They had a really good program, then sang the medely of "As Sisters in Zion" that has the YW theme combined with it. They sang it with their moms and it was so beautiful. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. The youth today are so strong and amazing!



K.C. had his wisdom teeth out yesterday. This was his second try. The first time he went up to the University Hospital to have it done, because that is where Travis works from. K.C. was really nervous about being put to sleep, so before they even got the needle in his arm, he passed out. Then they couldn't get his blood pressure to come back up, so they sent him home. We decided to go to the oral surgeons office to do it this time and it was much better. The doctor was great. When he found out K.C. was going to Russia on his mission he started talking to him in russian. He said his son had gone there 2 years ago and they had gone to pick him up. He said he had memorized his testimony in russian so he could surprise his son at the testimony meeting. I think he made K.C. really feel at ease, because he had the IV in before he even knew what had happened. Then he told K.C. to repeat what he was saying in russian and K.C. did but was asleep before he could finish the sentence.
















Out like a trout
Not quite awake on the way home








Pain



















Boredom






He got through it just fine. He was awake most of the night though, because he slept ALL day. It was nice to be able to sit and talk to him for a few hours (of course I was awake too...not because I slept all day, but because unfortunatly, thats how I usually spend the time between 2-5 am.)
Back to my backwards mixed up week. Thursday, we decided to take the boat up to Strawberry. K.C. had just finished his last final and we were all anxious to try a little fishin. They said the ice was mostly melted and it was a beautiful day. The closer we got to Strawberry, the windier it got. when we got to the lake, there was white caps on the water. But it wasn't too cold, so we decided to go for it. The boat ran great and we fished for a while, then we noticed the bilge pump was pouring out a lot of water. Kelley got into the pump area, and noticed one of the caps to the pump had a big crack in it. Well that was the end of the fishing trip.

But we had a fun day anyway, scenery and company was good.






























K.C. is a pro at driving the boat now.















Candice came over earlier this week and we baked! Megan was having a thankyou party for all the people that have supported her and Candice wanted to make a few treats for it.



Cake mix explosion
















Yummy mini strawberry cupcakes













Poo Poo cookies that turned out like their name.











Candice made these cute little appitizers that looked like little girls wearing scarves.




We made chocolate cupcakes with mint frosting, corn dip, and some amazing chocolate almond macaroon bars. (From the amazing chocolate cookbook Angie gave me. LOVE IT!)

We had lots of fun baking then delivered it up to Megs house. It was pretty late when we were coming home, and this lady in front of us was swerving all over the road.
She was all over the lanes and must have been drunk. We followed her all the way to the exit, then watched her almost sideswipe another car and decided to call the police. We gave them her licsence number and told them where she was headed and they said they would find her. I hope they did before she hurt someone. Scary.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Wow you have so much to blog about. I love it! I feel bad for the boy I know how he feels. I hope he is doing a bit better. I could hardly read what you wrote about grandma it made me cry. I love the picture of kc driving the boat he looks alot like kelley. Oh and the cooking I was really jealous! I wish I had someone to cook with me. glad you are having fun times:)love ya, Angelina

CanSay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lessdirtydirt said...

See mom! Aren't you glad you started blogging? You have such a fun life and so many things to talk about. Again thank you for helping me bake, I couldnt have done it without you. no way no how. Those pictures of KC are pretty fun. It made me do that one laugh thing where im almost crying because I dont want him to be in pain but its so funny I cant help laugh. YOu know what im talkin about. I love you!!! Happy mothers day, im coming over right now.

Sorry, that deleted comment was from me.

kat said...

I did the laugh/feel bad/I'm crying thing cause it's so funny too with those pics of the boy-if you put pics like those of me on here, I'd kill you-I love the boy! I wish I was coming right over :( Thank you for the thoughts about grandma-just like Angie, made me cry! Happy Mother's Day! xoxo

kat said...

Mom,
Your post also made me laugh and cry at the same time! I love it when you tell stories about grandma and grandpa. I love you so much. Happy Happy Mothers Day! xoxoxoxo
Love, Camille (from Kates computer too lazy to sign her out...)