Saturday, May 13, 2017


Today was a great day to plant!  I think we are past the chance for a hard freeze...haha you never know here in Utah though!  I guess if it gets cold we can cover the plants.  
The plants we bought at J & J garden were starting to look pretty sad...I think they just need to get planted and they will perk up.



Kelley got the garden all tilled up and raked out and we got busy planting.
He would dig the holes and I'd get the plant ready by pulling off all the lower leaves and taking it out of the pot.



We moved things around a bit this year...put the tomatoes on the other end of the garden and moved the beans and squash down where the tomatoes had been before.  We planted some carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and pumpkins too.  
We decided to try a different way of watering too.  We have used the dripper hoses for years but thought we would try watering deep and less often.  Kelley's brother Mark waters his garden that way and his always does really well so we'll see how that works.  
I planted the beans up against the trellis and put some cucumbers and canteloupe against the wall to climb up the wire fence.
Kelley pulled all the weeds on the outside of the fence and that was such a big job!  A lot of the wild flowers we had planted there last year had come back again this year, so Kelley got some more wild flower seed and put that down too.  Then he hooked up a dripper hose along there so it would get watered and covered it with mulch.  He can sure get a lot done!  That was just one of about 10 projects he is working on right now!  Getting the whole garden in is a lot of work but it feels so good to have it done!  Kelley is seriously the hardest working guy I know...from sun up till sundown.



  

Katie has been working on these cute boxes with succulents and cactus in them.  She had an order for some and then decided to make a few more to sell.  They've been a real hit!  

These cactus are so bright and colorful! They hardly even look real!







The bees are loving all the blossoms on the strawberries.  Aren't they just the cutest little pink flowers!








The Iris are in full bloom right now too.  They are so beautiful and smell heavenly!

KC and I were looking at the Peony bush and it's just covered with buds.  Peonies are just my favorite!  It reminded me of the peony bush mum had by the old gate that I always loved.  If we were lucky, it would be in bloom over memorial day so we could use them in our flower arrangements for the cemetery.  It was usually cool enough up there that there was still tulips and lilacs blooming to use in our pots of flowers.  We'd cut some bridal wreath, fern, and anything else we could find in the rock garden and would make some real nice pots for the graves.  I'm sure that's where I got my love for flower arranging.  This time of year brings back so many wonderful memories of growing up in our own little "Garden of Eden".  Couldn't be more grateful to my wonderful parents for giving me the life I had and all those memories I hold so dear.





No comments: