Sunday, May 7, 2017


Just a few other things...
We had a relief society activity tuesday night that was supposed to be a cinco de mayo celebration. It was pretty low key, but Kate and I are fun so we thought we'd go for it with the mexican theme.  Ha!
We looked on pinterest and came up with a couple cute ideas.  I made sugar cookie dough monday night, then just had to bake and decorate them on tuesday.  Ha!  Easier said than done!  The cookies were supposed to look like little sombreros and Kate had bought all the things we needed to make them happen.  Problem was, I just made the cookies too big so then the gum drop we put in the middle looked way too small to be the top of a hat.  KC came over that afternoon and after having to get hints to guess what they were, we knew they were a pinterest fail!  I had to run to the store to get some flowers to plant that night which was one of the projects we were doing.  While I was gone, Kelley had gotten in on the action and cut all the cookies down to a smaller size, I'm not quite sure how, but when we got them all decorated, they looked pretty cute!
Then we decided that instead of just taking chips and salsa, we would do little 7 layer dip cups for each person!  Haaaaa!  Why?  I don't know!
They are a lot of work, but in some crazy way, I enjoy doing things like that!  They were yummy and looked super festive if I do say so myself!






 We went over to the church about 6 to get everything set up and it looked pretty cute!  Oh how about those cute refried bean cans!  Kelley cut some euphorbia (the only thing blooming in the garden right now) and arranged them.  He really helped us so much!  I left the kitchen in a total wreck from all the day's work and came home to it being spotless.  Love that man of mine!

 There's those sombrero cookies.  They were kind of a gaudy mess but oh well, they tasted good anyway.  Ha!
 We were all set and ready to go, but sadly only had a handful of ladies showed up.  It was pretty disappointing, not so much for us, but for Stacey, who had gone to a ton of work to get things together for her project which was making a milk bath mixture for a mothers day gift.  A lot of ladies had signed up for it, but only a few came.  Bishop Smith was at the the church and came in and saw what was going on.  He is a sweetheart and said he would buy them all and use them for gifts.  That's the trouble with these things.  You just never know if people are going to show up or not.  And where they hadn't paid for it in advance, it really left Stacey up the creek.
We were pretty surprised actually at the poor attendance because we have had more than ever before at the past several things we've done.  There were several things going on that night with the schools though, so I imagine that took quite a few ladies.  Oh well, we sent each of the ones that came home with a few cups of dip and cookies  and had some to take to some ladies in the ward that needed a lift. 
There were several ladies that came to exchange their flowers and plant their pots and we had a fun time visiting while we did that too, so that was a pretty successful project.
 I had a chance to talk to some ladies that I had been wanting to visit with but don't really get a chance to on Sunday.  I was really glad I did as I found out one sister is really having a struggle with depression right now. I would have never known it cause she always shows up with a smile on her face. I would have never known, but could feel a hesitancy when I asked how she was doing...then she really told me.  
 I guess it wouldn't matter if all else had failed if being able to be at this activity had given one sister the listening ear of a friend that she could unload some of the burden she's carrying right now on.  I was grateful the spirit had guided me to be that listening ear and shoulder to cry on for a moment. 
Just wish I could take away the pain.
   





No comments: