Thursday, October 15, 2015



We have been having the most incredible weather, way above normal October temperatures.  I wish it could go on forever.  The flowers are blooming like they haven't all summer and the garden in still flowering and producing tomatoes and peppers (please stop now!)  








Anyway,  we decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and head up fishing.  We haven't been for quite a while.
We got an early start and left home in the dark  Where it was really mild in the valley, it was freezing in the mountains.  When we were pulling into strawberry, the thermometer said 27 degrees! 
When we got on the boat the outside seats all had a layer of frost on them.  Brrrrrrrrr. KC turned on the generator and got the heater going and it warmed up real nice.  I'm so grateful for a enclosed place where we can get out of the wind and cold.  When the sun came up things warmed up real quick and we didn't need to use the heater anymore.  It was a perfectly calm morning  and stayed that way all day.










We all caught fish and had such a good time, we decided to come back today!
While we were packing up some sandwiches to eat for lunch, we were talking about how it was kind of odd that I liked to fish, cause I guess most women don't.  KC asked me what I liked best about it.  I told them I liked being up there and enjoying the beauty of the lake and the mountains...  it's so peaceful up there...the only noise is from birds splashing through the water as they flap into flight. I said I like the excitement when you see your pole twitch, then grab it and feel the fish nibbling on your bait.  Then if I don't get too excited and jerk the lure right out of it's mouth, to catch it and reel it in.(then of course to let it go...I can't stand to see them die..Kelley always gets the lure out of it's mouth, I know it would take me so long, the fish would be goners).
Anyway, we had another wonderful day.  Dave Matheson came with us and he is fun to be with.  Him and Kelley are pretty much the grumpy old men fishing.  Each trying to outdo the other in trash talking.  
We were all catching quite a few, but Dave, not so much.  


It was even warmer today than yesterday and smooth as glass.  It was super sunny so KC had a hard time keeping his eyes open for our selfie.  Ha!














We stopped on the way out at the the little bridge to see if the salmon were spawning.  They were really going to town!  There was a lot of them swimming upstream to lay their eggs.  They get really gnarly looking with that big hook on their jaw.  It's kind of sad but fascinating to see how they struggle to get back to where they were born to lay their eggs and die.  There were a lot of them that had died and were floating there on the side of the river, while the others would push forward against the stream, then stop and rest and get washed back a ways, then push on upstream again.  Nature is cool.

The thought came to me while I was watching Kelley and KC together that even though I enjoy those other things about fishing, the thing I like most is just spending time with my guys. 
  


No comments: