Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Been thinking about and missing mum and daddy a lot lately.  I think what started pulling at my heart was watching the DVD Larry made for us out of all of mum and daddy's old super 8 movies.  He has been working on it for about 6 months ( I told him there was no rush) and sure apologized for taking so long.  He said Susan had broken her ankle pretty bad in the spring and he had been taking care of her all summer.  Anyway, I sure appreciated him doing this job for us.  He was much more reasonable than the other places I checked into.  I know it took him hours and hours to go through all the film.  He was able to brighten up the dark films and enhanced the color so they look really good. He divided it up into chapters of the years so we could navigate through it without having to watch the whole thing...it's almost three hours long!  Some of the film was so brittle it was just breaking apart, so he lubricated it and put it all on big reels.
 It was just a treat to get to sit and watch these old movies!  There were a lot that I had never seen before.  I'm so grateful that daddy took the time to preserve all these great memories!
And how the memories came flooding in as I watched!   I really don't have a very good memory of details  ( I envy that of Kelley...he can remember all the details and has such great stories  of when he was growing up) so it was neat to be able to see exactly how things were 50 years ago!
Looking at the movies of the yard and the house, the flowers and the fish pond....playing in the leaves, going down the slide into the little pool...quatso, sledding, friends, birthdays, trips to Bear lake, Christmas, Tony Grove, graduation, parades, playing in the irrigation water, and lots of grand kids...well it just filled up my heart right to the top with gratitude!  How blessed I have been to be born into this wonderful family!  We had such a happy childhood and then to see how dear mum and daddy were with their grand kids, I sure am grateful for them, and the example they have been to us and our posterity.  Hope I can live up to their amazing legacy.
 
The funniest thing happened the other day. Kelley was looking through the drawers of the saw cabinet he had brought home from mum and daddy's place and saw this big roll of what looked like tape.  But when he opened it up, it was a roll of pictures!  They were from Providence elementary.   
 
 
As I looked through them I found these cuties! 

 There were lots of other familiar faces that I'm sure Brenda and Teina will remember.  What a treasure!  I wish I could share it with all those good folks from Providence!  I'll have to give it to Brenda...she still has connections with the city there. I bet they would love to see these...there are some real doozers.

1 comment:

Lisa - The WagonMaster said...

I think about grandma and grandpa a lot - we were so lucky to have them! Great memories there and with my cousins.