Tuesday, January 22, 2013

For our combined activity last week we went ice skating at cottonwood Hts.  
We had a ton of kids show up  so it was pretty wild. 
When we got up to the ice skating rink, the parking lot was packed...really, not one parking spot left.  Bad sign.  So I dropped the girls off at the door and went to look for a place to park. (made up my own parking spot in front of a big dumpster  HA! I was expecting a ticket but then thought who would be crazy enough to be out giving parking tickets  in this sub zero temperature? ...seriously so cold right now...big stupid ugly gross inversion (they call this one the mother of all inversions) has settled in on us again.  So bad it's really making people sick.  Kelley has been coughing and sneezing but he doesn't have a cold.  It makes my throat burn and my eyes run to be out in it...and the cold has just been the worst ever.  Yesterday, I saw it was 12 below in Logan!  Not as cold here but in the single digits and only gets up to about 20 for the high.  I sure do hate the cold.  I was telling Kelley the other day, that if I didn't love the people here so much, I would say 'lets move somewhere warm!'
I'm grateful Kelley hasn't had to work out in it this year.  Really, no one should be out in this.  I'm paranoid of forgetting to let Lizzy back in after she goes potty.  She's not a barker or a whiner, she just curls up on her bed and waits for me to let her back in, so I worry about forgetting...kind of ocd...double check before I go to bed, then wake up in the night and have to check to make sure she's in again. 
I don't know how the chickens survive.  They must have super insulated feathers cause they are just happy as a clam out there.  Kelley put heat light in their little house, but when it's on, there is a light on...so the chickens think it's still day and don't go to bed!  Ha!  They are out wandering around the chicken run in the middle of the night! It's funny too cause their egg production hasn't slowed down at all in the cold.  They are still giving about 10 eggs every day. Their water feeder froze right up too, so Kelley got one that is heated and it's worked really well.  I guess we shouldn't fuss so much...when I think about it, daddy didn't have any fancy heaters and our chickens survived the winter in Cache Valley...now that's cold.)
Anyway, back to the skating...when we all got in there, it looked like every other youth group had had the same idea that night.  That place was packed.  But once they got their skates on and got out of that crowded  area and onto the ice, it wasn't bad.  It was cool to watch the ones that could skate go take the hands of ones that were struggling and try to help them learn.
After watching for a bit, Stacey, Bonnie and I couldn't resist and went and put on some skates. 
I felt like I was 12 again!  It was fun!!! 
 












No comments: