Saturday, January 19, 2013

Flashback
Last night I was making some popcorn balls for the basketball team...I looked up from making the caramel and this sight instantly took me back 40 years.
Coming into the kitchen and seeing mum and daddy sitting at the kitchen table doing the crossword puzzle after a hard day of work was a regular occurrence and an image that's embedded in my mind. Mum would pop a batch of corn in the electric fry pan...little oil in the bottom, pour in the corn...keep it moving so it doesn't burn...then dump it on the kitchen table.  The butter dish sits next to the corn for dipping. Not sure why they never melted the butter and poured it over the popcorn....they probably wanted to choose their own level of butteryness.  Mum was always watching her figure and daddy loved real butter.  He used to cuss the margarine and low fat foods she would try to get him to eat. 
Anyway,  for some reason, I always felt good and safe when I saw them sitting there together.  They would laugh and talk about the day and I knew they loved each other.
That's a memory I will keep close to my heart forever.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I was just thinking about this the other day! I always wondered why they didn't melt the butter too.