Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Yesterday, Kelley, KC and I got up in what felt like the middle of the night ( which was fine for me cause I was awake anyway!)  and headed up to Logan.  We still needed to get the rest of the things and Kelley wanted some boards for making the chicken coop.  Have I mentioned how much wood and boards daddy stored?  Well theres a lot.
It really was a beautiful sight as the sun peeped over the mountains as we were coming through the canyon.
While Kelley and KC loaded up some wood, I went inside and vacuumed the house.  I hated leaving it like that after we pulled the desk out of daddy's room.  It was quite a sight  to see, cause a squirrel had made his home right there behind it!  All of the hazel nuts had the tops neatly removed !  looks like they got into the bird food too!  Then when we moved the white dresser out, there was another little mess there!
How funny is that?
Anyway, I didn't want to leave that mess, so I took the shop vac up and got it all cleaned up.
As I went through the other rooms, it felt so strange and empty.  All the furniture is gone now.  But when I looked out the window of my bedroom,  it all seemed familiar and like nothing had changed. I could have been 12 years old again and just waking up on a beautiful spring morning...looking out that window to see if mum was out working in the yard.
Or I could be standing at this mirror putting on my make up like I did all my teenage years.
I always loved that green carpet in my bedroom...so soft and pretty!
When I went back outside, Deloy was over talking to Kelley and KC. 
He got to talking about building a hand rail for mum out of one of those long poles in the back yard.  He told us about a lot of things he had done for her.  I told him how much we appreciated everything he had done.  He said "Oh it wasn't anything compared to what they did for me...Del was always helping me with something...you know Del was my very best friend."
Then DeLois came over and talked for a while too.  She is a sweet lady. 
Kelley got a few boards out of the ceiling of the old garage (so many boards up there!)  and then he started chuckling.  He said..."look what I found!"  and handed us down a box that said 'Paula's school things' on it.  Oh my goodness...that was a surprise!  I had no idea they had saved all my old notebooks and things from High School!  It was so fun to look through them and read some of the things I had written.  It made me reflect to see how my teachers were trying to encourage me and even saw great potential in my writing.  I was clearly much more occupied with my social life than school though as I found a bunch of notes my friends and I had written...boys, dances, friends and dates were top priority.  It felt like I was looking at someone elses life as I thumbed through all these pages.  Was that really me?  I regret deeply not trying harder to do my best in school.  I got OK grades, but didn't really care about it that much.  Much more concerned about having fun!  What a bone head...wish I could do it again.
I found my Seminary binder and that sure brought back some great memories.  I loved Seminary and the teachers I had.  They had a great influence on my life. I remember feeling loved and accepted there.
Oh another thing that I had to smile at was that my folders were all covered with my doodling and with sayings and thoughts I must have liked.  HA!  I guess that's something I've always loved to do!  Some pretty good ones...


To get ahead, one must take a chance...
Without insecurity, there is no growth.
*****

Always be a dreamer
But also a doer.
*****

To know one's ignorance
is the best part of knowledge.
*****

It's not the hours you put in that count,
but what you put in the hours.
*****

Why should I deny myself the pleasure of doing a job as well as possible.
*****

Don't be a carbon copy of someone else....
Make your own impressions
*****

Simply do each day what you know you should
and do it at once!
*****

Don't talk about your abilities...
Demonstrate
*****

Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life
*****

Work is a privilege;  if you don't believe it, ask a handicapped person.
*****

You can't kill time,
You can't store time,
all you can do is use it!
*****

Pray for a good harvest
but keep hoeing.
*****

Do you come with a solution
Or are you part of the problem
*****

Experience is a hard teacher: 
She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
*****

The only way to begin, is begin.
*****

To avoid criticism...
Do nothing
Say nothing
Be nothing.
*****

Nature gives everybody five senses;
the other two--horse and common,
you must acquire.
*****

Brilliant people talk about ideas
Average people talk about things
Small people talk about other people.
*****

Killing the dog doesn't cure the bite.
*****

A smile is like an echo: 
It always come back to you.
*****

You have to run fast to stay in place.
*****

Do the unpleasant job first.
*****

Personality can open doors,
but only character can keep them open.
*****

When the going gets tough,
the tough get going.
*****

You are becoming what you are to become.
*****

It isn't what you earn
It's what you don't spend.
*****

People who know all the answers
Haven't asked all the questions.
*****

If you have plans for tomorrow,
Be careful today!
*****

If you can't win,
make the one ahead break the record.
*****

Do you follow through,
or do you have to be followed through.
*****

The man who rolls up his sleeves
seldom loses his shirt.
*****

What you learn today will  insure tomorrow's harvest.
*****
  There were a lot of pictures and programs and things I had saved in the box too. Oh the memories.
So glad Kelley came across that box...thats was really a treat for me!


2 comments:

Angie said...

I wish I would have known you were coming up! I was over in Logan and could have stopped and said hi. How fun to get that stuff from school lots of memories. You hate to think what else is around that we don't know about..

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

I see some future embroidered sayings lurking in this post!