Thursday, May 24, 2012

Lost a friend to pancreatic cancer this week.  Went to his viewing and also the viewing of the sister of our good friend Mark ( who was also taken by cancer). 
It seems like cancer effects most every one's families  in some way these days.  It scares me.
It was so sad to see Nathans sweet family standing there, his wife looking kind of dazed and the kids trying to hold it together....kind of eerie to see how the sons had grown up to look just like their dad.  KC was in a little preschool over at Staceys' with their son Thomas.  He's a grown up guy now but looks just like he did when he was 4, except taller.  Such cute boys. And their daughter had just had their first grandchild shortly before he passed.  My heart was breaking for them.
Nathan worked for Kelley laying brick years ago, and they were pretty tight.  They had a lot of fun at work...maybe too much fun!  If they got rained out at work,  they would come over here and play basketball.  He'd bring his kids over and they'd play in the backyard with KC.  He was a good dad.
They were just going along with their lives with the future looking bright...Son just heading off to play college football, new grandchild on the way...then he gets this.  Pretty much of a death sentence. He fought it valiantly  though till there was no more fight left in him.
 It's a stark reminder of how quickly things can change and how precious and wonderful life is.
Made me want to hold Kelley so tight that nothing bad could ever happen to him.  I don't know what I would ever do without him. My whole world revolves around him and our kids. He brings the joy and laughter into this house.  He goes to great lengths to make me happy! (the latest examples...patiently getting all the stuff  home from mum and daddy's place and helping me get through this rough time, lettting me have chickens and building a coop for them (because he knows they remind me of home), remodeling our bedroom and trying to make it just how I want it...these are huge things  to me!)  He has always been this way with me though...how did I get so lucky to find a guy that would treat me so good?...I've been so blessed to have a wonderful, happy life with him.   He is truly such a part of me, that without him, I couldn't be whole again.
Just sayin...don't die.  Thanx

1 comment:

Angie said...

Cancer is such a heart breaking disease it seems to swoop in and take the best people. I hope the family is comforted what a hard thing.