Monday, May 7, 2012

Friday was such a nice day...we went out back and worked in the garden a bit. 
The iris are so pretty now and when you get close to them they smell heavenly.


KC helped me pull weeds and transplant some  snap dragons that were growing in some strange places.  I hope they survive. 
Radishes and peas doing good! 
Kelley and I went out to this nursery ( behind a school out on redwood road ( I think the school grows all the plants)...KC and I came across it and bought a few flowers there the day before....great prices and really nice plants!) and got a bunch of vegetables and geraniums.
We're going to work on getting things planted this week!

Saturday morning, Kelley, KC and I went up to mum's to bring a load of stuff home.  I think everyone else has gotten all of their things out of the house now....I had great intentions of getting up there before now, but it just didn't happen.  Kelley is in up over his head now with the projects he's working on, so I hated to pester him about it.  But when I mentioned it, he was just like  " OK,  sure...lets go tomorrow!"  He's the best!
He took the trailer, so we were able to get a lot on there...the saw that was in daddy's garage was super heavy though, so we couldn't take much more on the trailer.
Just thought the ferns there were looking so pretty.  I love when they are first coming out and are all curly like that.  Reminds me of a magic fairy land. 
Everything was sure pretty and green..driving through Sardine Canyon into Cache Valley was a beautiful sight.
 OK  So this was funny!!!  Guess what we found when we were moving this dresser ? (besides the home of another squirrel)   Mum and daddy's birth certificates and marriage certificate!  When mum passed away, we looked high and low for her birth certificate...we went through everything!  Mum was very organized and had all her important papers all filed away in a safety box...except these birth certificates. 
We finally gave up and contacted the vital statistics offices and had them send a copy to us.
 Anyway, on top of this dresser was a piece of carpet, then a piece of glass over that, then a bunch of other stuff stacked on top of that.  We moved everything off, and took off the glass and lifted up the carpet and there they were!  Ha!  genius hiding place!
 Kelley's main objective for the day was to get daddy's desk home.   He knew it wasn't going to be easy...but I don't think he had any idea it would be this hard.
Him and KC picked it up got it close to the door way of daddy's room.  They could see it wasn't going to fit through, so Kelley took the door to the room off and they tried to squeeze it through.  No way.  So they picked it up and turned it sideways.  Nope.  Then they turned it on an angle.  Close, but no.
So they could see they were going to have to take the desk apart.  They thought if they could take the top off, the bottom would fit through.  So they got underneath it and found the screws that were holding it together and took the top off.  They tried to fit the bottom through the doorway again. Not happening.   So they had to take the bottom apart into two sides and a middle piece.  No kidding. 
Either daddy put this desk together inside this room, or he built the room around this desk.  Man I wish I had someone to ask about how he got it in there!  There's got to be a great story there!


Before they started moving things, I took these pictures of all the neat sayings and things that were important to daddy that were under the glass on his desk.  I carefully removed each one and put them in a box.  My heart was sure full of love for my dad as I read each little thought.  They are a perfect definition of what made my dad the special man that he was, and told the story of his character, his humility and integrity. I'll have to do another post to share some of my favorites.


 They finally got everything loaded up and tied down ( probably took about 2 hours just to get the desk out of the room!)  We got everything locked up again and headed for home. 
Sure do love these two guys. Didn't ever complain about what a lot of stuff I had them move or ask me where I thought I was going to put it. I think they could see how dear to my heart and full of memories some of these things were to me. I know it's just stuff, but when I see these things, I see my parents...you can't see daddy's desk without picturing him sitting there plucking away at the old typewriter, writing his daily entry in the journal, or if we were lucky, getting a fun ride on the spinning stool  that sits up to the desk.
Or the old brass bed in the shack...I think of how daddy rigged up the misquito net over the bed to keep us from getting eaten alive ( misquitos were so bad there close to the pond) and how mum would tuck us in and make sure we were snug when we would have sleep overs out there.
Or the old irrigation cart...I can still see daddy pulling it around the yard, unloading and connecting the pipe to wind over the lawns ( a pepsi and a snickers bar sitting  close by it to keep him going through the long irrigation day) this was before he got the new plastic pipes. 
When I see the lawn furniture, I think of all the fun parties, baby and wedding showers we had out there in the gazebo.  It was always so comfortable and inviting just to lounge out there (nothing better than a snooze in the swing) or sit and visit with friends and neighbors that would drop by.
I could go on and on...every where you look up there holds a memory.  So grateful for these wonderful memories...they are beginning to fill up the empty places in my heart that my parents passing left there.



1 comment:

Angie said...

What a huge project to get that out of there! Grandma told me that grandpa DID build the desk in the room so no wonder you couldn't get out. We had quite a time too getting the dressers from upstairs out. I am so glad you took pictures of the top of the desk. I had so many good memories seeing grandpa at that desk.