Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Toothless old biddy

So Thursday, I started having a toothache. It was on the top, so I hoped maybe it was just my sinus's.
Friday was no better...in fact. it was way worse. So I called Dr. L. This answering machine came on saying it was someone named Trish.  What?  I probably mis-dialed, but took it as a sign that i needed to find a new dentist.  So I called Travis to see if he would look at my teeth.  He said he is working in a pediatric office now, so he referred me to his buddy Dave.  Dave has done some work on Kelley and Katie and they both liked him, so I gave him a call.  I told  him I was in quite a bit of pain, so he said to come in that afternoon. 
They took a bunch of x-rays and poked around in my mouth.  Then after a long look at my x-rays, he says...."I have some bad news.  Not only is the tooth that hurts probably a goner, but there is one on the bottom that looks really bad too."  Really?  But that can't be!  I brush and floss every day...and for the past week, I haven't eaten hardly any candy! 
He said the teeth with the problems had crowns on them that had kind of fallen apart under the crown.  How does this happen?  ok, aside from me eating waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much candy.  Shouldn't they hold up better than that?
He said he couldn't fix it that day, so he sent me home with some pain pills to get me through the weekend, and told me to come in on Tuesday.
So Tuesday, I went back in and he went to work on the tooth on the top that was hurting me.  He took off the crown...no wait first he has to deaden the top of my mouth...I really hate that.  dang, it hurts getting a shot in the roof of your mouth. 
Anyway, after I was good and numb, he took off the crown and started drilling.  He said there was a lot of decay but he would try to save the tooth.  He drilled and drilled.  Then he said, "Well, there isn't much left of that tooth now".  He said he could try to build it up with posts and stuff, but he was afraid it wouldn't work out very well in the long run.  He said he would rather do an implant there.  Implant???? NOOOOOOOOO!  I told him about all the trouble I've had with the implant I got from Dr. L.  He said that wouldn't happen on the top teeth, because there are no nerves there.
  Oh man, I felt like crying.  He was really sorry and I think a little afraid to tell me this...
So after we talked a while, I decided to go with the implant.  He said he wanted to do a bone graft after he removed the tooth so I would have a strong area for the implant.  So he pulled my tooth.
It was.....difficult.  By the time he got it out, I had tears running into my ears.  It didn't hurt...just so much pressure.  I felt like he was pulling my cheek bone out.
After breaking it into pieces, he finally got it out.  He cleaned it up and put this bone graft stuff up in the hole it left.  Then he sewed it shut.
I  will go back in a few months and have him start the implant process. 
Not cool.
I had a flash back of  standing at the bathroom mirror doing mum's hair.  She smiled (showing the  missing the tooth (partial) that she kept losing, so we finally just didn't replace it) a big smile and looking at her reflection said in her sweet voice..."You toothless old biddy!"

2 comments:

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

What an ordeal! I am so sorry! I hope this implant is way less of an ordeal than your last one!

Angie said...

I have a feeling I am going to be joining you in a few years. I loooooooooove candy its my weakness. In my mind it seems to cure everything except toothpain:( So sorry you are dealing with another round at the dentist!