Monday, November 16, 2009

Ok, So I'm starting to freak out a little bit. I have been trying to not think about it, to just be patient and wait for some change, but it has been 4 weeks now, and my face is still numb.
After my last visit with the dentist, where he took the implant out I expected the feeling to start coming back. He said he was sure he had not damaged that nerve, he had just put pressure on it,so it just needed some time to regenerate. So I went home and followed all of his directions he gave me to help my mouth heal up from the trauma it had been through.
He called me a few days later to see how I was doing. I told him I was healing fine, but my lip and chin were still numb. "Hmmmmmmmm. ok, lets do this..." so he called in a prescription for some steroid that was supposed to help me heal faster.
I went and picked it up and it had a big red label on it that said 'if you have been in contact with anyone who has any contagious disease, cough, cold, fever, do not take this... it will weaken your immune system'. Plus it had a list about a mile long of wacko side effects.
I had been taking care of Candice who was pretty sick at the time, So I called Dr. L. and asked him about it. He said it was more important that I get better than to worry about the side effects. Then he asked me how long Candice had been sick and told me to wait for 4 days, then to start taking it.
The side effects weren't too bad, only that I was pretty bloated and when I tried to play racquetball, my head felt like I had been spinning in circles...Wheeeeeeeeee (that could have just been me)
So every morning I wake up and hope that this will be the day that I can feel some improvement. I'm trying to push the thought that this could be permanent out of my mind, but as each day goes by, it's getting harder to not think that way.
I know there are lots of things worse than this, but just the idea of not being able to feel when Kelley kisses me, or to be able to talk without sounding like I've been drinking, or to be able to smile and have both of the sides of my mouth go up (I am a happy person...I like to smile!!!) well it makes me really sad.

4 comments:

lessdirtydirt said...

I swear I'll hunt him down and gut him like a fish mom!!

Angie said...

Seriously cant you go to somebody else to have them help you? It cant stay like this that is awful! I hope you can get relief soon.

Lisa - The WagonMaster said...

I had the same thing a few months ago in my right leg. Everyone I talked to (I work with nurses) told me that it should go away on its own and not to worry. But I did. I worried about it all the time! Every morning when I woke up I would wait and see if I was still numb, and every day that it was I was so disappointed! Over 3 weeks this went on, and then... it went away!

Visiting the chiropractor probably had something to do with it, and you may find some relief from that, but really it should go away on it's own.

I know how you feel though, and I'm hoping you'll be smiling again soon!

stacey said...

dear smiley....even a numb mouth can't take your glow away! Hang in there....and find a new dr!:)..Maybe KayLynn from bunko may have an idea or two for you...if you haven't already spoken to her about it. Her dr. was amazing with Mick's messed up mouth!
love ya!