Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Halloween

Halloween really is one of my favorite holidays, but it just isn't quite the same without any little one's around. I was sure glad that Camille and Olivia could be here earlier in the month so we could do some fun Halloween things together!
I got up early Saturday morning and started making popcorn balls.
Tammy came over about 4:00 to make a swap for some popcorn balls, then while she was here, Leslie, came over to get hers too. I love my neighbors!
The kids started coming around real early this year. It hadn't even started to get dark when we heard the first "trick or treat".

I think what I love about Halloween the most is being able to see all the old friends and neighbors...lots of the kids come back to trick or treat in their parents neighborhood
or just the mom and dad will come by for a popcorn ball.

Candice came over and we made cupcakes and tried to put together a kitty costume.
She looks pretty cute no matter what she's wearing.
Then she went to a party at Meg's house.

Stacey came by with Tawnie and CalI and a darling Halloween treat for us. She is so thoughtful like that. She even brought some fabulous eclairs that I could eat with my stupid broken mouth. Thanks dear friend!
Anyway, Halloween was good. I was missing Olivia a lot when all the neighbors came by with their little ones.
We ran out of popcorn balls and scrambled to make some more. Kelley helped me make two more batches but we ran out of those too. I think by counting the bags we used, we made about 120 balls.
Ok, so I got in one of those moods when I was putting my Halloween stuff away to get things organized. I hadn't even been able to find half of my fall stuff cause it was buried so deep on the big shelf in the garage.
So I got the ladder out and climbed up onto the shelf and started going through boxes. I was determined to dejunk and unload a bunch of stuff I had been saving for who knows what.
( I have a little problem that way)
I got out some boxes that I haven't seen for years and started pulling out these old costumes I had made for the kids when they were little. Wow that brought back a flood of memories. That's why I like Halloween so much...making costumes (some for Kelley and I, or some for the kids or the neighbors kids)
These pictures are horrible, but the costumes (although wrinkly) were still pretty cute.
Candice wore this little Minnie mouse costume when she was about 1.
This clown costume looked so cute on Camille with her little chubby cheeks!.
I think all of the kids ended up wearing it at least once.


Strawberry and grapes...all time favorites


I think this Cleopatra costume was Candice's Katie wore this princess dress with my official dairy princess crown

Didn't make these but have lots of good memories of K.C. as the
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle



This one was NOT easy I used to get dressed up to go over to the kids parade and party at school. This costume was fun bccause no one could tell who I was. I think this one and nerdy lady were my favorites


We were going to try to find the kitty costume for Candice to wear to her party, then realized Katie wore it when she was about 6.


This was a cool wizard costume I made for Candice


Candice do you remember when you and Mikal were M&M's?
This was a groovy 70's hippie costume with huge bell bottoms. There are a ton more costumes out there. One year Katie was a little old man with a bald head. That was a good one. There was little red riding hood (Kelley) and the big bad wolf (Katie) Little miss muffit (Kelley) and Spider(Katie) Utah cheerleader(Kelley) and football player, Angel (Kelley) Devil (me) Nerd guy and girl (my personal favorite...Poly-Ester lives on!)

It made me want to get out the old photo albums and look at the kids wearing these costumes. I think I will...

2 comments:

Angie said...

how fun that you hand out popcorn balls and that they are such a hit! They must be amazing to have so many come from near and far:) We love to go through the boxes too. Its funny that we save so much stuff when secretly nobody is going to wear it anymore.

kat said...

Candice why couldn't you fit into my kitty costume from when I was 6? You must have really gained some weight lately...how embarassing!