Thursday, June 25, 2009

Plant Killa meets the slime creature


Gross! This slime has taken over the pond! We have been battling this moss problem since last summer. Asked at Western Garden if they knew what to do and they said to put these little bales of barley in the pond...also to stop feeding the fish so much.
Well we tried both of those things and the moss is just as happy as ever. This is what it looks like after cleaning all the moss off by hand about 3 weeks ago. Besides looking and smelling bad, it makes the water flow off the sides of the rocks so it is lost in the dirt and the water level of the pond drops about 5 inches a day.


K.C. and I got after it last night and cleaned most of it off. The moss has really grown to the rocks so you have to scrape it off...even that doesn't work very good. I think I will e-mail Larry Seagers (the guy who knows everything about plants) and see what he thinks will work.

ok. I am a plant killer. Kelley is constantly accusing me of killing our plants. (just because of one little incident where I put some broken off pieces of a house plant down the garbage disposal. He even has sound effects of the plants screaming as they are ground to bits. thanks for that)
Anyway, I had gotten some more flowers to finish up my planting the other day (when it was nice and cool and rainy) and put them on the patio till I could plant them. Then yesterday, it was HOT!
(not arizona hot, but a big jump in temperature from what it has been here) I had them sitting nicely in the shade (in the morning). tThen by afternoon, the sun beat on them from the west and cooked them. AAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! As soon as I realized what had happened, I watered them really good and gave them a good pep talk on manning up and being tougher than a little heat. I told them how my reputation was on the line and I would never hear the end of it if I killed all these plants! Didn't see a lot of action...just laid there all limp and wilty. Oh dear.

3 comments:

Angie said...

I have never seen your fish pond but i am told that shading helps with moss. Like grandmas lillies that she has cover alot of it. I also know that there is a product called green clean that is suppose to help with keeping the algae down. Just a few suggestions. As far as the killing of the plants I was really bad at doing that until i bought aquabulbs! They are amazing you just fill them up and stick them in the plants and they water themselves. Its the best purchase ever! I dont think I would do outside plants. Good luck!

kat said...

I can't believe they didn't perk up after your threatnings/pep talk! You must not have thrown the seatbelt scare at them? How cute is the boy to help you clean the pond? Just for that alone, he's going straight to heaven-no mission necessary. Done! Thanks

kat said...

PS-Did you say plant 'killa?' Very gansta of you Paula