Sunday, June 28, 2009

K.C. and I had been wanting to go to the Temple again so we planned for early Thursday morning. Kelley would have gone with us too but he has started working at a regular job! He had a guy that he had worked with before call him last week and ask him if he would come and work for him. They have a few big projects that will give them work for quite a while. We were so grateful to have the work. I hate to see him have to work so hard though. They are using these huge block that I know weigh a ton and he comes home exhausted. He fell off the scaffolding the other day and skinned himself up (more than usual) and twisted his knee. I know it is still hurting him. He doesn't complain though and is glad for the work. I hope he won't have to keep doing this kind of work for too much longer.
Anyway, the Jordan River Temple is closed right now so we decided to go to the new Draper Temple. We didn't get going quite as early as we had planned, but got on our way in time to go to the 10:00 session. We got on the freeway and remembered we wanted to get some names to do from Uncle Kim. So we called him and told him we were coming to get some. When we got to their house, we thought we would just pick up the names, but they invited us in to see their house and to meet Mia's niece and nephew who were visiting them. Kim got to talking to K.C., and Mia started telling me about her sister and the problems she was having ( a whole other story) and by the time we got on our way, we thought we would barely make it to the 10:00 session. We got to the Temple and walked around to the front doors and were surprised to see a line of people at the door. We got in line and soon realized we were not going to make it to the 10:00 session. I have never seen anything like that before. I guess because the Jordan River Temple was closed, a lot more people were coming to this Temple. While we were waiting in line, Gordan and Diane and Diane's brother were coming out the doors. They had just been to Diane's brother's daughter's wedding. K.C. was telling Diane's brother he was going to Russia on his mission and this lady behind us said "Oh my neighbors are going there the same day as the mission President of that area." We have had so many coincidences like that lately. It seems like almost everywhere we go, someone tells us about someone who is going to Russia. They must be sending an army of missionaries there right now.
Anyway, when we finally got up to the desk, the man said " you can probably get into the 12:00 session" We were fine with waiting a bit. I told K.C. I would meet him in the chapel. I got dressed, ( after luckily finding the last unused locker) and went up to the chapel. I waited and waited and no K.C. One of the workers there came and asked me if I was waiting for someone, and I told him "Yes...my son. Can you go see if he is ok?" So he went to look for him and came back and told me he would be right there. Finally, K.C. came in and said he had forgot to pack his pants and tie. This Temple doesn't rent clothing, so K.C. had just told the people at the desk what had happened, and they gave him pants and a tie. I'm so grateful for the kind workers at the Temple! We had a very full session. In fact, they had to bring in chairs for us to sit on. The rooms are so small. About half the size of Jordan River Temple.
Anyway, the session was wonderful. The movie we saw there was a little bit different. They had enhanced the color and changed the pictures a little bit, and it was beautiful ! We were the last people to go through the veil, so I was able to watch K.C. I don't know how to put into words the feelings I had as I watched him... he had been upset with himself for not being able to remember all of the parts he was supposed to say. I tried to explain to him that nobody remembers it all after being there one time! I am still learning everytime I go to the Temple. He thought he should be able to though. So as I watched him trying to do everything right, I realized that tears were running down my face and I was pretty much overcome with love and gratitude to my Heavenly Father for letting me have this special spirit to raise as my son. I tried to pull myself together so I could say the things I needed to say. We sat together in the Celestial room for a while and talked. It was a pretty special day for me ...one that I want to wrap up and tie with a bow so I can get it out later and remember it when I am missing him so much.
Friday morning, we went up to stay with mom. I was thinking I would have to go alone, then K.C. said he wasn't doing anything and would like to come with me. I was sure glad to have his company. When we got there, mom seemed kind of confused. She was just sitting there at the kitchen table staring out the window. It makes me sad to think of her doing this all day long. I made her some lunch, and we talked for a while, then K.C. and I went outside to work. There was a few flowers left in the greenhouse so we planted those, then started cleaning out the rock garden. It was so overgrown with morning glory and ferns and creeping jenny, that it took a while before we even got down to where you could see the plants that were supposed to be there. Later in the afternoon, the clouds rolled in and it started thundering and lightening. We kept working till it started raining. When we went in the house mom was all nervous. She doesn't like the thunder and said she was afraid. K.C. played the piano for her to take her mind off of it. Then it started hailing and the thunder was so loud, it made her windows rattle. It was pretty intense storm. I was a little afraid myself. It was probably from just telling K.C. about the storm we had had there when I was about 8 years old. The lightening had struck this really tall pine tree we had just east of the gazebo. It split the tree and it tipped over onto some electrical wires, then the whole tree burst into flames. I remember all the neighbors gathering around and the firetruck having to come put out the fire. Pretty much the most excitment Providence city had seen in years. Anyway, the storm soon passed, but not without beating up the flowers and the lily pads in the pond. They were in shreds.
Mom and I sat and looked through these old books that Aunt Pat had put together of newspaper clippings of things that went on in Providence. She had wedding announcements, birth and death announcments, any events that happened, she had kept them in these big binders. Uncle Clyde was the Mayor for years, then Pat took over the job, so I think they knew about everybody in town. It was fun to look at because I had never know what had become of some of my old friends that I had grown up with. I got married pretty young and only kept in touch with a few friends after I moved away. It was interesting to see what they had done with their lives and the accomplishments they had made.
Saturday morning, Brenda called and said her and Leslie and Teina were coming over to make some plans for the next month. It was wonderful to see everyone and get to visit for awhile. We worked out the irrigation schedule and planned a little family reunion-fix up the yard day.
We worked in the yard a little while longer, then headed for home. I had told the Hendersons I would play the piano for their nephew's baptism, and K.C. was the little boys primary teacher so he wanted to be there too, so we had to get home. We ran into some bad traffic and just barely made it in time to get to the baptism.
Later, Kelley and I walked over to watch the fireworks at Taylorsville days. They had this guy singing before the fireworks that sounded just like Neil Diamond. In fact I think he sounded better than Neil Diamond. The fireworks were amazing. I tried to take some pictures, but it was just with my camera phone and they don't begin to do them justice. They are the kind of fireworks that shake your insides and make you cry because they are so loud and beautiful...you know what I'm talking about.

4 comments:

kat said...

Crap...crying again! I've got to stop reading your blog! Or maybe the boy needs to stop being so damn cute?! I think we should just tie him up in a bow and keep him forever! Eternity with you guys is the best thing I could ever think of. love you

Holly said...

I love reading your blog too! Such sweet stories. I'm laughing about the Neil Diamond guy. I could hear him from my Mom's house and I thought he sounded just like him too! Are we sure it wasn't? I thought the fireworks were really good!

Angie said...

I am with Kate no more blog reading for me you make me cry too much!jk I will keep reading but seriously try not to make me cry too much k? I do enough of that on my own.

lessdirtydirt said...

Thanks for videoing the fireworks :)