Friday, June 5, 2009

Oh sweet mystery of life at last I've found you!

So today I decided to tackle the much neglected bathroom downstairs. K.C. is extremely clean so I didn't think it would be too bad. Well I opened the shower door and it was really gross! We have one of those showers that is kind of plasticky rubbery in that bathroom that I have never loved. It's really hard to keep it clean cause the floor has this nonslip surface and the dirt really sticks to it.
So I dug into the cupboard and got out my rubber gloves, all of my most powerful cleaners and best scrubbers. I was hoping that a good spray with the "scrub free" shower cleaner would take care of buisness. I let it sit for a few minutes, then started wiping it down. NOTHING! Did not make the slightest difference. So I started scrubbing it with my fancy scrubber and the Clorox Kleenup. Nothing. It didn't even lighten up the shade of dirtiness on the floor. So I tried the "Mildew remover", Lime Away, and Pinesol and lots of elbow grease...man I was sweating! Still nothing. About this time I was pretty much overcome by all the fumes of all the cleaners so I decided to take a break, open the window, and come back strong. Now I was on a mission. The stupid shower was not going to win!
In desperation I started digging through the kitchen cupboard again and came across a box of SOS pads. I had only used them in the kitchen before, but after looking on the box, discovered that they put a sparkle on your bathroom too.
I went back downstairs and attacked the shower floor with a vengence and my SOS pad. All the dirt magicly just came off! It was like a miracle. So I used one on all walls and door of the shower too and it looks almost like new!
I realize this is really a lame thing to get excited about but this is my life, and I am happy I got the shower clean.
While I was scrubbing I had this thought. When I first looked at the shower, I thought "I can't do this, it is too much...too dirty!" But then the thought came to me...just take one little area at a time...do your best on it, then move on to the next. A light went on in my head as I realized that this is what I need to do in my own life. I have been feeling a little overwhelmed with the upcoming events in my life. When I think of everything that is going on, it seems like too much..I can't do it! Then I feel guilty, knowing that other people have MUCH bigger problems and challenges than I do. So then I get depressed, feeling defeated before I even begin. I find myself forgetting to do unimportant and important things. I think the lack of sleep has something to do with that. Yesterday I sat down and wrote out all the things I need do and places I need to be in the next couple months so I wouldn't forget. I don't do more than anyone else, probably a lot less than most, but lately, it's getting to me.
So as I was scrubbing my very dirty shower, I think I was getting an answer to my prayer that I could find some peace in my mind and in my life. Heavenly Father was telling me to : Take one day at a time. Just do the best I can... Find joy in the simple everyday things in my life.
When I turn to my Heavenly Father (my miracle SOS pad!) for help...after trying everything else,(why do I always do it the hard way?) he will give me the answers I need.
p.s. I love sos pads

5 comments:

Angie said...

Why are you so dang cute! I love the analogy you thought of and needed to hear it more then you will ever know so thank you sooooo much! I know life can be hard but your right we need to take it a day at a time. I hope you dont get down too much. Just get out the old sos pad and go to work! love you :)Angelina

lessdirtydirt said...

You really are a little too cute Mom. Stop it! Ok don't stop it I love it. I love everything you've ever taught me, thank you so much. Best mom Evarrrr...

Camille said...

Wow mom. You always know just what to say to make me happy! I need to think more like you. Just take it one day at a time. Next week will be sweet for me. I can't wait to squeeze you!

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

Your blog always elevates my mood--thank you for sharing!

kat said...

Dear Sweet Paula...how do I love thee! Thank you for the thought of the day. I'm totally buying sos pads tomorrow. you can use them on my shower next week when you get here! ha ha ha...totally kidding. I'll just put them in your pants! xoxo