Monday, May 30, 2016


I love em' but chickens are weird.  And lately they have been acting extra weird.
Since we got rid of little Jerry, they have done a complete turn around with laying eggs.  We were lucky to get one  a day while he was here.  I think he was terrorizing them.  So we found this place on KSL,( and when I say we, I mean Candice...she is a lover and protector of all animals and didn't want to see him end up in somebody's soup) that takes roosters...yes a rooster farm where they can run around crowing all times of the day and night and feel all manly.  So Kelley and I drove down to American Fork to the address he gave us.  I was happy to see that it really was a rooster farm when we got there.  I thought they might have just been saying that.  There were roosters running around the yard and several in cages.  They weren't home, so we found an empty cage and stuck little Jerry in it.  I felt like it would be a pretty happy place for him to live.
Anyway, since he was gone, the chickens have been laying eggs like crazy.  We would get eight or nine a day!  
But then this one started acting real strange. She would not get off the nest and looked like she was dying.  She was real droopy and could hardly keep her eyes open.  We thought she was a goner. Kate said,"you should wring it's neck or take care of business with a bag of rocks (that's a whole other story) and put it out of it's misery!"  I was like NO!  It could perk up! 
So we just kept checking every day, thinking we would find it dead, but it wasn't.  It actually started perking up a bit.  It wouldn't get off the nest still though so we decided it must think it's hatching the eggs.  Which is odd because now the rooster is gone?  I don't really know how that works.     






The other chickens are still laying lots of eggs, but for some reason, they all want to lay their eggs in this nest.  Ha ha!


Anyway, I hope she snaps out of it.  We had one of them die on us while we were in Mexico and Candice had to get it out and wrap it up and put it in Toby's garbage can.  I think it might have warped her for life.



No comments: