Thursday, September 24, 2015




I sure love this time of year.  The garden has really gone crazy this last month.  The tomatoes were really slow to turn red...I think it was from the heat. (I Got a face book  "memory" the middle of August with a picture of my kitchen loaded with tomatoes and Kelley and I up to our elbows in salsa...middle of August this year...no tomatoes at all  Ha!)  About two weeks ago they started coming on and we had bags and bags full of them. So needless to say, I've been canning.
I've done a few batches of that yummy sweet salsa.  ( I seriously could just sit and eat it with a spoon)
Out Basil plant is huge and produced many batches of fabulous pesto.  The smell of it is heavenly.





Our kale plants are pretty much out of control.  I don't know if it's  the bees or the chicken poop, but these plants are really happy

It's so neat to be able to go pull up a hand full of carrots for dinner.  They are so sweet and tender...I can eat the whole bowl of them myself (KC does't like when I do that though...he likes them a lot too!) They have got to be one of my favorites.




The Broccoli has been so yummy too.  I froze a bunch when there was more than we could eat.
And the brocoflower is starting to get going too.  Last year I was about ready to pull the plant out because all it grew was huge leave.  Then late August, the brocoflower starts growing.  It was really delicious too!  We got three big heads last year and it looks like we will have that many again this year.


One of the tomato plants produced these huge tomatoes  seriously the size of a small plate.  One slice was perfect for a tomato sandwich  (yum)  We've picked a ton of Roma tomatoes that are great for salsa.  
The tomatillos are pretty much out of control too.  We only planted one plant, but i think seeds from the tomatillos that dropped  on the ground last year just grew into plants on their own.  Soooooo many tomatillos!  They are yummy though and I love the green salsa.
Yellow squash is also a favorite.  It' reminds me of home.  I loved the way mum would fry it in eggs.  I think I'm the only one around here that loves it though so when I make it (at least once a week) I end up eating the whole thing.  Ha!  I'm not even mad about that.  




The other day I made some candied peppers.  They seriously are just like candy. Aren't peppers beautiful?  I love the bright colors
This is a shot of the pumpkins with bees and squash in the background.  The squash grew up the trellis so it looks kind of strange to see these big acorn and butternut squash hanging from the vines.  They grow to be incredibly strong to hold these big squash hanging in the air! I'll have to get a better picture of them.  
Those are onions that look like antenna.  Curtis' mom gave us a start of them last year and they came up again this year.  I'm excited to see what's under the ground there.  It sure grew some cute flowers.  We have dug up a bunch of lovely red potatoes for Sunday dinner a few times too.  There's nothing like fresh vegetables from the garden.




Stacey called the other day and said they had a bunch of apples left on the tree if we would like to come pick some.  We went over and picked a bag of them.  Then on Sunday, they brought over another big bucket of them.  Kelley and I got busy yesterday (he is the fastest peeler in town!) and made some pie filling and applesauce.  It's a ton of work, but it sure give you a satisfying feeling to store these yummy foods away for another day.   I'm so grateful for the bounty we have been blessed with!






No comments: