Friday, February 12, 2010

Last night I was able to go to the third ward's "New Beginnings" program. All I can say is that it was amazing! They used this program written by Jenny Phillips that went along with the theme for this year ... Joshua 1:9 " Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed ; for the Lord they God is with thee withersoever thou goest."

Jenny Phillips has written several new songs for the theme this year and they are so beautiful and meaningful!

They had different girls sing these songs for the program last night (SOLO!) and they did such a good job. As I watched these girls sing out with conviction and confidence there was a light in their eyes that told me that they truly believed that the message they were sharing was true! I am just so grateful for the Young Women's program! It teaches such great values that can help us all so much! I am especially grateful for the new value of "Virtue" I think if the girls can put this value into their lives and live it every day, they will be happy; and like one of the songs said, " I didn't come to earth to compromise" " I want to return to my Father's arms unashamed"
I am so grateful for talented, inspired artists like Jenny Phillips that write these beautiful songs that the girls love ...I was sitting by two young women that kept leaning over to me and saying "This next song is great!" or "You are going to love this song" or "this song is my favorite!"
Then while the songs were being sung, I looked around at all of the girls and they were listening intently, some with tears in their eyes. It looked like they were really pulling for the girl that was up there singing and wanting her to do well. After the program was over, all of the girls surrounded the singers and hugged them and there were more tears. It was quite a sight to behold. If the girls will take the words to these songs and truly live them, they will be able to get through these perilous times...it's not easy I know! We talked about some of the situations they face every day at school in young women class on Sunday and I am shocked and so saddened by the evil and wickedness that is all around them. They are going to have to be strong and courageous to withstand the temptations of the adversary in these last days.
I think I am going to miss going to these special programs more than anything as I will probably be released from my stake calling this weekend in stake conference. I know I have gained more from being involved with the Young Women Program than I could have ever given to them. Being able to go to all their activities...girls camp (so much fun!), trek (that was amazing!), youth conference, Day of Celebration (such a neat experience!) going to special programs, and visiting ward yw for their ward conference, helping plan and participate in youth council meetings, wow it has really been a wonderful time for me! So even though I am sad to be released from this calling, I am so grateful for the experiences I have had and for a loving Heavenly Father that knows me and places me where I need to be at different times in my life. He knows what I need and where I should serve to help me develop into the person I am supposed to be.

1 comment:

Angie said...

sounds like a great experience! I hope I can have a simalar experience. I just got called in as the 2nd counselor in YW!