Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I have started talking to the dog... a lot. Like...

"Good morning Lizzy! did you sleep well?"

"What shall we have for breakfast today?"

"Now you be a good girl while I am gone...I'll know if you get on the couch!"

"What have you been doing?"
"How do these shoes look with this dress?"

"Come here and sit down so I can brush your fur...why are you losing so much fur? Are you sick?" "Just look at all this fur in the vacuum cleaner!"

"Lizzy you smell really bad! what have you been rolling in?"

"I don't think I can eat any more of this potato salad...would you like some?"

"Did we remember to lock all the doors?"

"Did you hear that noise? Go see what it is!"

"Lizzy was that you?"

"Are you ready for bed?"

"Gosh I hope that's Kelley calling!"

"Lizzy, where are my glasses?"

" If I let you sleep right here by the bed will you try to not snore so loud?...Oh I don't care if you snore, you can sleep there anyway."

Hmmm I guess I'm ok as long as I don't expect her to answer me back.

Kelley did call last night! Yea! I hadn't talked to him since he arrived in the Dominican Republic, and it was so great to hear his voice!

I had been over to visit his dad earlier to help him get started with the new family search program and he had said that Kim had talked to Kelley on Sunday. I was kind of fired up when I heard that cause I figured if he could call somebody, it had better be his wife! So I mentioned that to Kelley. He said that Kim had called him and had been lucky to get through because he had tried and tried to call home and couldn't get through. The reception was really bad during our phone call so I didn't hear all he was saying.

He sounded tired but good. I don't think he has been getting much sleep and the malaria pills have given him headaches. He said they had slept out the first night, then the foundation had found a hotel for them to stay in. He was grateful to have a place to go. Said the water didn't work though so they were bathing in the swimming pool. He told me they were having earthquakes quite often. Had a bad one Monday afternoon and more lives were lost as the cement roofs on buildings would fall in on them. He said the people over there are just happy to be alive. He said he had taken a lot of pictures and videos so I can't wait to see them. I'll post some of his text messages:

The first night He sent me a message that just said "WOW"

I thought he must have gotten into Port-au-Prince, and asked where he was. His reply.."Hell"

The next day he sent this message: "4 hours sleep in 3 days. 95 degrees. Humidity at 80 percent. No bath since Thursday night. Questionable food. Experience Priceless!"

We all get a "wakey wakey" every morning. I told him that the Bishop may have announced in sacrament meeting where he was. His reply: I'll have to have a stern talk with him. I guess ya can't reverse that. Wish he hadn't said anything. Oh well, love you.

Sent this picture with the caption "This was the potty"

I asked him where they went to the bathroom. He said people just go where ever they want.

I asked him how his first day of work had gone. He said "I'll let you know at midnight" He had been told that they had a curfew there of 6:00 p.m. because of the crime and looting so I was surprised they could be out later. He said that was in Port-au-Prince and they were on the outskirts of the city. They had access to a generator and hooked up some lights so they could work as long as they could.

Text later Monday: "96 degrees 80 percent humidity"

Tuesday morning: "wakey wakey! not much sleep. several quakes during the night. I asked him to tell me about the earthquakes. His reply: We had earth quakes every day killing more people with collapsing roofs. They build their roofs out of concrete with substandard crap and so that's why all the death."

Tuesday night: "Hey not sure about the Internet tonight. I'll try to get through on Gails i phone. Tell him (K.C.) I love him." (When he called me last night he said he wasn't going to be able to get email sent to K.C.. Lucky to have gotten through for the call to me.)

Then this morning at 4:05: "The roosters start at 3 am.Ya gotta love it. Soggy cornflakes in water in a cup. Breakfast of chumps."

This afternoon: "98 degrees 82 percent humidity." I've died and gone to heaven! ( I think he means it too! He loves the heat!)

Candice asked him if there were any Rodents of unusual size there and he responded: Oh yea, the first day we were cleaning up debris and I felt something crawling up my pant leg, thinking it was a large spider, I shook my leg, and a big mouse ran out. Then she asked him if he screamed like a little girl and he said : I wanted to but there were a bunch of army guys there and I didn't want the kids teasing me in french.

Just got this one from him: " Gets funner every day. Almost like being on vacation. Wait a minute..no it's not Beats working!"

3 comments:

lessdirtydirt said...

When we got the email from Gail last night I just laid in bed and cried. Hard to get any sleep when he's so far away and i'm scared of the conditions he is in. Its almost over and he'll be home soon. I know its a really amazing opportunity for anyone to be able to go serve the people. Just want him home safe thats all.

Angie said...

I agree with Candice kind of a scary thing. So glad for the fact that he is so unselfish. Your talks with Lizzy are hilarious!

Holly said...

It's so neat what Kelley is doing! Kate told me a little about it, but I hope to hear more when he gets home. I bet you'll be glad when he gets home!