Thursday, June 19, 2014

 Just had to throw in this selfie we took on Sunday. (had to do a little cropping ha ha)  So lucky and blessed to have these guys in my life
So the day of our combined activity hike arrived and wouldn't you know it, we had record breaking cold storm come through the day before leaving the mountain tops covered in snow and dropping the temperatures to the  40s.  We were scrambling to come up with a plan b and decided to watch 17 Miracles on a big screen at the church.  Well Wednesday dawned clear and cool and I got a text from Bonnie saying her daughter thought the trail we had planned on taking should be fine.  I was still kind of worried about it but Bonnie is a experienced hiker, so I trusted her judgement.
So we met at the church and had a pretty good turn out.  I followed Bonnie with my car load cause I didn't know where we were going.  The trail started up above the University of Utah.  It was a fairly easy path but had some pretty steep parts and just some long inclines where I thought I was going to die.  It was cool when we started, but about half way up, I was taking off my jacket cause I was sweating!  I was glad to see I wasn't the only one breathing hard.  I think when Bonnie said this was an easy short hike, we should have taken into consideration the kind of hiking she does. It felt plenty long and  a bit scary in some areas where it dropped off right next to the trail.
We finally made it to the top though and  it was the most beautiful view!  The hike is called "The Living Room" because when you get to the top, there are rocks all situated like couches in a living room.  We sat and rested a bit and had a granola bar.  The kids wanted to go farther and explore the area but it was getting windy and starting to rain so we headed back down.  It was a lot more fun coming down! 










I wish we would have been up on top looking over the great salt lake when this was happening... (caught this one as we were getting in our cars)  seriousy one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen.

No comments: