Monday, June 16, 2014

Ok, these are way lame pictures of our yard sale, but it's all I've got.
We had been collecting things from people in the ward for months and had quite a lot of stuff.  Becky had been storing things in her garage so we had the YW meet over there at 6 am so they could help load things into the trucks.  We had quite a few show up and they all pitched in to help.  (I was pretty disappointed in the amount of help we got from the young men.  That's all I will say about that.)
I had a ton of stuff to bring just from our house.  Katie had sent a bunch of stuff home with us when she moved...lots of house stuff and clothes.  Then a couple of months ago, Morgan called and asked if we would like to have a bunch of stuff from Seagull book that he had to sell.  He had gone to them to ask for a donation for a fund raiser he was doing for school.  They gave him a ton of books, cds, videos that were all brand new.  They had used them for demo in the store so they couldn't sell them.  Anyway, he took this stuff for his fund raiser, but they wouldn't let him use any of it because it was church affiliated.  So he brought over all these boxes full of new media  to use for the yard sale. That was super nice and helped out a lot.  People bought them right up!
We had asked the girls to all bring something for the bake sale and most of them did.  The Garlitz also had a snow cone machine and a popcorn machine from the senior break out party the night before that they let us use.
Man, people started coming as soon as we got there.  It was kind of irritating because we hadn't even had a chance to unload anything and they wanted to look through our bags and boxes of stuff.
It was really great cause people in the ward brought more things over for us to sell and some just gave us money without buying anything.  Bryan gave us money to not let Martha bring any junk home!  Ha! 

Charity brought over some real nice things to sell.  I feel bad cause people don't want to pay anything for stuff and I know she could have sold these things online and got some good money.  She brought over this little glider bike and I bought it for Sam.  She also had a real nice stroller that ended up going for 25 dollars.  I felt pretty good about the lady who ended up with it though...she looked at it and said she really needed one, but didn't have much to give for it. We had started out at 75 dollars...I mean it was a deluxe stroller.  But then we realized that people aren't going to pay that much for stuff at a yard sale.  I told Charity she ought to just take it home and sell it herself cause she was feeling pretty bad that nobody would pay that much for it.  She insisted she wanted to donate it so we dropped the price to 50 dollars.  Lots of people wanted it, but wouldn't pay that much.  So by the time this lady came to look at it we were thinking maybe 30?  She said she would try to round up that much money and wanted us to call her if it was still available at the end of the yard sale.  Well it was still there, so I called her and she came back over.  She had 24 dollars and a lot of it was in change. I was glad that she could get it. 
Boy, you get to deal with a lot of different people at a yard sale like this! There are those that come at the crack of dawn and go through your stuff like it's their job.  They want your stuff pretty much for a quarter. ( I had to keep reminding myself that any money we make is great because all of these things were donated) Then there are people that pop in quick and are looking for a specific thing.  If we don't have it they will take off.  Then there are those that come with their whole family.  These people  seemed like they were on some sort of an outing and would look leisurely through the clothes and things and let their kids pick out something from the toys.  Then they would get something from the bake sale too.  It was fun to talk to the people.  There was a lady who was asking about crocheted items.  Stacey sent her my way.  She said she makes little dolls and she is looking for someone to crochet clothes for them.  She says she sells them like crazy on etsy.  I didn't know there was such a demand for something like that.  She asked me if I would make little clothes for her.  I told her I  would but I don't really know how to make up my own patterns.  She was like "oh you could do it!'  So she gave me her email address and wanted me to contact her.  I thought it actually sounded pretty fun so when I went to get the napkin she had written her email address on out of my pocket and realized it must have fallen out when I was unloading my pockets from money people had given me, I was really sad.  I will have to check into it on the Internet and see if I can somehow find her.
All in all, it was a really successful yard sale.  We ended up making 1580.00!  That will pay for about half of our youth conference. 







 

No comments: