Monday, June 20, 2011

This and that from the last few days...

These are just a few pictures Camille sent me ...can't wait to see this little guy in person!...three days!
















Kelley built me these cute planter boxes to replace the old gross ones that were hanging on the patio wall.... I got them all planted...Lizzy approves





Been having lots of fun planting and fixing up the rock garden.






Saturday I got to spend another delightful day with my sisters.



We spent the whole day going through the dresser in the east room.



It was full of all of mum's music. There was a lot!...I think she has collected a lot of sheet music from Aunt Dyrene and Aunt Pat when they passed away. There was even sheet music that I think daddy must have gotten right after his mission..."Take me back to Old Tahiti!" and other old songs with just guitar music in it.



We found sheet music for all of the old songs we sang together over the years....going clear back to some of the first songs mum ever taught us. How much fun to reminisce and sing those old songs again!



There was even music that we sang in high school choir that we all loved.



Brenda has such a good memory and could remember little things about when we sang all these different songs...like whose wedding or funeral or club party it was and funny things that happened while we were singing. What a hoot! I haven't laughed that much in a long time.



There were drawers and drawers full of music, so we would just spread a bunch out on the table and we would take turns picking one.



There was a lot that we all had special memories of so we are making copies of those for all of us.



She had a lot of really old books of music that were really funny! They used to write some silly songs!



This one talked about how her husband was so small that she could keep him in a tea cup, but she would let him out once in a while and hold him in her hand....what?




She also had some really cool old church music and books. A lot of music from Gleaners and MIA. I think they had a lot more fun back then...putting on plays and musicals and road shows. We found a few of those scripts too.
There were some hymn books and Sunday School music books and primary song books that were from early 1900's...really neat!



Then we went through the drawers that mum had filled with fun things for the grand kids. They all knew where to go to find a story book for grandma to read to them.



I think that pulled at our hearts more than anything...remembering mum playing with our kids and grandkids.
Brenda let me borrow her pioneer dresses again...yup, we're going on trek again.



Three of the ma's that had been called in January got pregnant, so they had to find some replacements. President Mendenhall called us in a few weeks ago and said at this late date, they needed to get some people who kind of knew what they were doing and since we had gone 4 years ago, he wondered if we would be willing.... well sure we will.



I thought this would be a once in a life time experience...it was really hard...probably one of the physically hardest things I've ever done, but an amazing experience. I learned a lot while I was on the trek...I think the best thing I learned though, was that with God's help I can do hard things.



That knowledge has helped me and strengthened me many times in the past four years....especially in the past six months.



I was sure glad that Kelley could spend the day fishing with his dad Saturday. Kelley has asked his dad to go fishing lots of times, but he has never been able to go, so when he said Yes, Kelley was really excited. ( they got a later start...thanks for going to trek meeting and representing for both of us before you left!)



The boat has been in the shop getting fixed for a couple weeks... (small mishap with the changing of the fuel filters...just sayin....) Anywho...it sounds like they had a fun day!
When we went over to visit on Father's day, he told us all about it...caught one thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis big!



He is such a good guy and amazes me every time I see him. He was telling us how their roof had been leaking, so he got up in the attic to see where the water was getting in...then he got nervous thinking that if he got stuck or died up there, nobody would ever find him till he started to stink...so he decided to get down and wait till someone was there with him to fix it. Ha! He is so awesome! He still does so much and his mind is as sharp as ever! 91 years young!



I hope Kelley got his genes!















3 comments:

Angie said...

seeing all that music and especially the books gave me a lump in my throat. I miss her so much! I am so glad you guys are able to get together and have fun. Kelley's dad is hilarious!

kat said...

I remember every book in that picture and treasure each memory I have of her reading them to me....priceless. How fun for you and your sisters to bond going through all of that stuff...you needed that. xoxo

lessdirtydirt said...

I want to read little red riding hood to Olivia and Sam just like she read to me. She was so good at doing the voices.