Monday, June 20, 2011

Really people???

It's ok if school is hard. Trying to sign up for school should not be so hard!
Trying to get KC registered for school has been ridiculous.
KC asked us if we would get him registered at SLCC because if would be getting home just a few weeks before school started. He told us what his major and minor would be and I checked with the U to see what classes could be transferred over when he gets his associates degree. Ok...ready to register...
So I get onto SLCC website. Ok...first you have to make a home page for student. Didn't he already have one? He went to school for a year there before his mission. Yes, he did have one, but I have to have his student ID number to get into it. Alright...I'll just go over to the school and explain that KC is far far away, and I have looked through all of his papers in his room and can't find any student ID number.
So I go to the school. I don't really know where anything is there, so I wandered around for a while, then asked someone where I should go. Get up to the admissions desk and came up against a lady that was clearly too busy to help me. I explained the whole story...don't have KC's student ID number...want to get him registered...he is far far away.
The lady I was talking to had completely lost interest in what I was saying and was quite put out that I was taking up her time, and of course...I should have known all this...she wasn't going to be able to help me! She said I would have to have a signed letter from him faxed or mailed directly to them stating that I could have access to his records.
Ok...I can do that. So the next email I sent him, I told him what was going on. He wrote the next day and said he had his student card and gave us the number. Woooo hoo! Now I was set!
So I get back on the Internet and put in his ID number....next question...drivers license number. Hmmmmmm. Nope. Don't have it. Alright I will have to ask him the next week about that.
So then he gives me that in his next email. Alright...now I'm in!
I had Candice come over to help me cause she's done this for her own school and knows how to do it. We get that far into his registration again and, lo and behold... there is one more security step...the secret question! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? KC had written for his security question..."What does a benthos eat?"
Candice and I looked at each other and just started laughing! What in the world is a benthos? This has gone way beyond frustrating and aggravating...Now it's just funny!
It wasn't very funny when Candice and I were telling Kelley about it and he said something lame like...Why don't you just go over to the school and sign him up? Like...it's easy...just go over there and do it! I wanted to poke him in the eye and said "why don't YOU go over to the school and sign him up?????" Oh man I was fired up!
So the next day, Candice spent her lunch hour with me over at the community college. She is a peach! Luckily we got to talk to a different lady this time. We explained everything that had happened, and told her all the information we did have. At first, she was just like...."We can't do anything without his signed permission. I showed her one of his emails that said he had given his permission for me to have access to his records. She said "well, it's not signed." I was like..."look...he signed it, love elder Jensen!!!! that's the best he can do in an email!!! I think she could see I was about to snap, so she said..."give me a minute...I'll see what I can do."
She came back after a few minutes and said that because it had been more than two years since he had been to school there, he would have to test in math and english before he could take any of those classes. ...also we would have to redo his home page with a new password.
Ok...we can do that! So we went over to a computer there in the admissions area and tried to get him set up. It kept coming up and saying he had to test before he could register for classes. So we went and talked to her again. She said she would try to reset that part so we could get by it. She went back and tried to reset it 3 times, then it said ok. So we try to proceed. Now it says we can only register between July 11 and November 11. WHY???????????
So we go talk to her again. She goes into the back room again and about 15 minutes later, comes out and says "wow! this has been hard!" She had put in some incorrect information, but had fixed it and said to give it one more try. I was so glad Candice was there with me! She just typed in all the information... zip zip (It would have taken me about 45 minutes and at least 10 more questions for the lady working there) and we were in!
By this time, Candice was way over her lunch hour, so we decided to finish up at home.
I guess I just don't get why they make it so hard ( and expensive) for kids to get into school. It's not like they are trying to steal something or do something illegal....they are trying to further their education...this is a good thing... right?

3 comments:

Angie said...

what a nightmare! I am sorry you had to go through all of that. I agree for heaven sakes we just want to go to school not start a business!

stacey said...

I sooo know what you mean..I have gone over there time and time again to help Chris...REALLY people...let the kids go to school! And the counselors...now don't get me started there! URRRR! So excited for you to fly away to a fun warm place! You deserve that break!

kat said...

Oh Paula...How I love you! I'll squeeze you this weekend and make it all better :)