Thursday, April 7, 2011

Today was a much better day! Mom woke up happy and for the most part, was pretty clear in her mind (she did ask me if I was going to bottle my daffodils?) Kelley stayed home till after she got out of bed so he could take her bed apart and make room for the hospital bed. He is a peach. He has been getting some really bad headaches lately and I know he had one this morning when he was unscrewing the zillion screws on that bed.....(really sturdy but a pain to move around!) Mom's nurse called to see how she was doing and after a day like yesterday, I was happy to tell her that she was much better. (Yesterday when Rebecca came to help with mom's shower, I told her about what had happened the day before and she asked me to stay close by. We worked together to get her into the shower, then Rebecca said she would be fine. A few minutes later, she called out to me. I ran down there and she said mom had had another episode where she went all limp and unresponsive. Between the two of us, we got her out of the shower and got her into the wheel chair. Can I just say one more time that Rebecca is amazing! She is so kind and tender with mom, and you can tell that she genuinely loves her. She takes both of moms hands in hers and kneels down in front of her so mom can see her and says " I'm so sorry you are not feeling good right now, but I don't want you to worry, because we are going to help you". Then she hugs her and says "I sure love you Jean" I just stand there bawling. We got her dressed and into her comfy chair and by the time, Rebecca was leaving, mom had perked up some. Rebecca said she was going to call the nurse and let her know what had happened. I got a call just a little later from the nurse saying she wanted to come over and check mom out. I got mom some breakfast, but by the time I brought it to her she was sound asleep. She slept most of the morning. When Cheryl came, mom was still pretty confused and her vital signs were not super. We talked about new concerns and she told me they would have aides come more often to help me and she suggested I get a hospital bed....then if she is having a bad day, and can't get up, she will be more comfortable in bed. Mom seemed to be feeling better later in the day. When Kelley got home, I ran and got some groceries and did a few errands. Kim had called me and asked me if I wanted a ride to the cannery...we were going clear out to the Magna cannery, so I was glad to go with her. We picked up Jenny and Marlene too, which was kind of a mistake because when we got everything canned, we each had several boxes to bring home and not a lot of room. We fit everything in though with some of it sitting on our laps. I was anxious to get home...it took a lot longer than I had anticipated. Kelley was great to hang out with mom though. He said she was really talkative...he didn't understand much of what she was saying though. He has a pretty sweet relationship with her. It really tugs at my heart when we are saying our prayers , he thanks Heavenly Father for the blessing of having mom with us.) Anyway, mom was so much better today, we could talk and laugh together and she was even guessing the puzzles on wheel of fortune! It was funny this afternoon, Camille called to talk to grandma...she was asleep when she called, but after we talked a bit, she woke up. I took the phone to her and told her it was Camille. She puts the phone up to her ear, and I could hear Camille talking very loudly to her.... but she kept saying "I can't hear you! Camille talked louder...still couldn't hear. We were about to give up and I said "why don't you listen with the other ear?" So I helped her get adjusted to the other ear, and as soon as Camille said something, mom was like " OH! I can hear you now! They had a nice talk and she was able to hear every word! Ha! I didn't know mom had a bad ear! I'm glad we figured that out! I felt so bad when Leslie called the other night and mom just couldn't hear her. They brought the hospital bed and got it all set up. I think it will be a lot easier to get in and out of. I hope she will be ok with it. I'm about ready for bed...the past 3 nights, not so much sleep....I'll wake up about every hour having a hot flash and break out into a sweat. I throw the covers off and just lay there until it passes... then I get cold and have to cover all up again. Lots of reading time...

2 comments:

kat said...

totally bawling...mom you are a saint and dad is the best...no wonder I can't find a freaking husband, nobody compares! I love you guys...give gmizzle my love! xoxo

Angie said...

I agree 100 percent with Kate! I wish I was closer to help you out more. I am fasting for you guys today.