Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Ties that Bind...

I've been thinking about what it is that brings people closer to each other and bonds them with a deeper, more profound kind of love.
Let me back up a bit...or to exactly one month ago when Camille and I got home from Arizona and I went to pick up Mother and bring her here.
Although I knew I had their support in this undertaking, I felt like the girls did not think this was a good idea. They said it was going to be too much...that I didn't know what I was getting into or how hard it would be.
And I probably didn't. My brain told me that they were right, But I had such a strong feeling that this was what I should do, I knew couldn't go against my heart.
Well they were right. Caring for mom full time has been one of the hardest things I have ever done. But I was right too. Serving her has blessed our family and taught us and bonded us in a way that nothing else could do. In the past month, I have seen a change come in all of our hearts.....especially Camille.
Kelley, Candice and Camille have all been so very helpful in caring for mom. I know they would do anything I asked them to do....but still the intimate care and the things that were sometimes uncomfortable to deal with were left to me. I don't expect Kelley to take mom to the bathroom or give her a shower, and when he is home, he is always right there to help me move her around and make things as comfortable as possible for her. I really appreciate that! and my love for him has grown even deeper as I watch how sweet and funny he is with her....he can always lighten the situation and make us laugh.
Well the past several days, I have seen something pretty amazing happen to Camille. She has stepped up and out of her comfort zone and has been doing whatever needed to be done! I know this is not easy to see your grandma like this and you want to remember her like she was 10 years ago when her mind was clear and she could take care of herself and all of us too... but this is reality. Not easy to watch her struggle to do the easiest tasks...feed herself, do up a button, or brush her teeth. I know she gets so frustrated with her legs when they just won't work....but she doesn't complain....just keeps trying to get herself around.
As I watch her, I've been thinking that her test on this earth is probably over. She has long since proved herself worthy of the Lords greatest blessings. Now the test is for us.
Anyway, while we were sitting in sacrament meeting Sunday, waiting for church to start, Camille and I were talking about grandma. She told me how she has grown to love her so much more since she had been really taking care of her...then she said something that really stuck in my mind. "It's one thing to take someone a plate of cookies, but doing something that is not easy... for someone who really needs your help...that is when you really get to feel the love!"
I'm so proud of her and grateful for the special person she is. It's amazing to see how even her countenance has become more beautiful as she serves with compassion and a Christ like love.
To me, precious moments like this far overshadow any inconvenience or hardship of caring for mother....
One of my favorite stitchery pictures..."What do we live for, if not to make life a little less difficult for others.

2 comments:

stacey said...

Amen sista....Your one special daughter! I know your Mom is just glowing with pride and happiness to be with you guys! I wish I could have that opportunity, but it's just not in the cards for us! Please let me know if you need ANYTHING! Remember, I'm home by 3 now and I don't have to run off to any other odd jobs! love ya!

Angie said...

I knew it would be hard for you but I am glad it has brought your family closer. It really is a hard thing to see your grandma totally rely on you for everything. Maybe its always been easy for me because I have worked in places where they are that way. Your the best!